Sealing Raised Foundation Sewer Outlet Opening

Users who are viewing this thread

GD

Reaction score
Hi folks. Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I have a circa 1960 built home that has an opening in the raised foundation wall where the sewer line exits. This opening was framed when the foundation was poured & is @ 12" wide, running the depth of the foundation wall. The sewer pipe is cast iron w/o any sleeve etc. Opening sits $6" below grade & is just dirt fill. Needless to say it is a conduit for rainwater intrusion into the crawlspace. This is Southern California, where we don't get a lot of rain...but when it does the crawlspace collects a bit of water (grade above crawlspace level...).

So...I'm pondering what to do with this situation. Excavate the entire opening, sleeve the pipe & fill the void with concrete, sealing the sleeve with expanding foam? Will the cold joint suffice as a barrier? Leave it as is & move on to the next project?

I'm not looking at replacing any pipe at this time...just sealing the hole. Any thoughts?

g

GD

Reaction score
Thanks, kreemoweet.

I'm just trolling for a reality check on what has to be done. I know...lots of ways to fill a hole. heh. I'm trying to get it 'right' with an eye to the future as far as pipe replacement (the cast iron is holding up better than my bank account...albeit both look rather weathered). Getting around that pipe w/o breaking it & getting the foundation surface clean enough to accept a joint that'll hold is a concern.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks