Sealing pipe through concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

RonFromSeattle

Reaction score
I am in the process of redoing and moving my water main.

I am using 1" PEX. And I was told it was best to use a sleeve through the wall. So I drilled a 2" hole through the basement concrete. And I have a 1 5/8" PVC sleeve to use.

What should I use to seal both gaps between concrete and PVC, and smaller gap between PVC and PEX?

Thanks for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sealing-cinder-block-to-pvc.25506/ #17 looks interesting. By "Ferncos" he means non-banded rubber couplers I think.

Hydraulic cement around the bigger pipe is more permanent. But you would probably want some thing less permanent between the sleeve and the inner pipe.

Loctite PL S1- Polyurethane Concrete Crack and Masonry Sealant might be good too. I was thinking there was an earlier recommendation for that or something similar, but I don't find it now.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
When we seal pipes that go through walls we use hydraulic cement and asphalt roofing tar on the outside. The best way is to use a link seal, but they are harder to find and consequently more expensive to buy.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
My copy of the UPC says: "313.2 ... No piping shall be directly embedded in concrete or masonry."
and also "313.10 Sleeves shall be provided to protect all piping through concrete or masonry exterior
or bearing walls." "313.10.2 Sleeves shall be sized so there is a minimum of one-half (1/2) inch
(12.7 mm) clearance around the pipe and/or insulation." "313.10.4 In exterior walls, annular space
between sleeves and pipes shall be filled or tightly caulked with coal tar, asphaltum compound, lead,
or other material found equally effective and approved as such by the Administrative Authority".

Pretty much any waterproof elastomeric caulk or similar substance would be OK, AFAICT.

RonFromSeattle

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I put hydraulic cement around the PVC sleeve. And I'll probably put some silicone caulk between the PEX and the PVC. Although I am looking for a Fernco that fits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks