sealer question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I was just reading one of your newer threads about frustration with toilets, and read where a sealer, has to be used to hold out sewer gases. Now, I was just wondering if you are talking about wax rings? Reason being I don't think my downstairs commode has one. I thought the water in the bowl would keep the gases out, no?

Thank you

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
A purpose of all traps is to keep sewer gas from getting back into the home at sinks and shower/tub drains and toilets. A toilet has built-in trap, but it also must be sealed with a wax ring between its base and the floor flange, or it will leak toilet water and gas both.
A wax ring can fail for a variety of reasons. If you detect water or sewer gas from under the toilet, replace the wax ring.
If you need a "how-to" step-by-step, just ask. Not difficult at all. We'll be glad to help you.
Mike

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Cookie,
If your toilet is not secure to the floor, the rocking will cause the wax ring to fail (and apparently has, if you're detecting sewer gas from under it).
The toilet needs to be pulled, the old wax ring removed, and a new one installed. Then the toilet needs to be leveled with beveled plastic shims made for the purpose, and then snugged down so that it can't move or rock at all.
Any DIYer or plumber should be able to solve your problem. It's not a difficult job at all.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks