seal or not around the bottom of the toilet?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by babifav, Jun 17, 2010.

1. babifav

babifav New Member

I recently replace my toilet and I was wonder if I should seal around the bottom? My contractor told me that I don't have to seal because he already install the wax ring, but I would like to have a second option of it. Because, the toilet is rocking a little bit when you sit on it and I saw on internet some ppl saying no, others saying grout the bottom or caulk or silicon...

Guys, I'd like to thank you all for your time and thanks Terry for this forum... I can sleep better at night :eek:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Barb,
    Tell the handyman, that a properly installed toilet bowl should not rock.
    It needs to be reset with new wax, and this time he should shim the bowl before he tightens down the nuts.
    I use plastic door shims. They are the best!

And then he should use polySeamSeal or something similar around the bowl.
    In Seattle, we leave the back open. We don't have ants here, it's not Arizona.
    We leave the back open in case the wax seal leaks. We have wood floors here.
    In Arizona they caulk it 360.
  3. babifav

babifav New Member

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your attention. I will talk again with my contractor, yes... it's rocking a little bit I'm not sure if it's normal, because the rest of the house has a grout around the bottom. I'm south California, you should move here... It's very difficult to find someone who we can really trust, I've have a lot of problem since I remodel the bathroom... bad lucky perhaps.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The caulk is to prevent water from going under the bowl, and to secure the bowl to the floor.
    Trust me, you don't want water getting under the bowl.
    It also quiets the bowl to floor contact.