screw hole in pvc vent pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by permapak, Jun 9, 2007.

1. permapak

permapak New Member

I accidentally ran a #8 screw through the 1 1/2" PVC vent pipe. It's inside the stud at the cutaway. I have limited access to one side and can see the hole with a flashlight. I don't want to remove the drywall to replace the pipe. Can I plug it with silicone or something since it's a vent pipe? Thanks for the help.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A few of the non-approved fixes that have been kicked around. Put some silicon on another screw and maybe a rubber washer and just screw it in and leave it. Or, get a screwdrive blade hot with a torch and use it to melt and move some of the pvc to fill in the hole. Or, try some epoxy. Or, cut it out and replace.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Try this: I've seen a version of it at Wal-Mart.

Attached Files:

4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It's a vent so there will never be water or pressure in it. Just run a #8 screw in the hole and leave it alone. If it was a drain pipe, then you'd have to seal it.