screw hole in copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jackie123, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jackie123

Jackie123 New Member

Hi,

I was putting a plywood sub floor down today in my entrance way on top of plank flooring and screwing the plywood down. When I was finish I proudly looked at my work. Thinking I was getting closer to laying down my tiles. Then I looked at my raditors and was hoping I was not all that dumb, unforunatly I was, removed the questionable screw was greeted by a shower.

I have now drained the heating system(thank goodness it is summer) and have removed the new plywood and have a small hole in the inch coffer pipe. Is their some sort of patch I can put over the hole or would I have to have the pipe cut out and new piece put in its place. If I have to remove the pipe I will have to pull up some of the plank subfloor.

Jackie
  2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

A copper slip coupling will fix it right up. they come in many sizes. slp coup.jpg
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Slip coupling is the answer. There is no satisfactory patch which can be applied to the outside, notwithstanding the claims of Billy Mays.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A slip coupling is the best, but I have brazed the hole closed when cutting it was not an option.
  5. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

I'll deny it in a court of law but I have "soldered" up a hole or two in my time. all in heat pipes, not water
  6. wallskev

wallskev New Member

An optional "Quick Fix without fully cutting the pipe"

is to cut a slip fitting in half and create a saddle, clean and debur the saddle , solder the saddle over the small screw hole with the proper flux and solder.

They also make a "Powerseal Repair Clamp" type product for ths but may not fit under the plywood properly.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

To do that properly, cut it OFF CENTER, so you create a piece with a slight "C" appearance. That will "snap" onto the pipe and create the pressure necessary to make the tight fit a proper solder joint requires.