Schedule 20 for Tub Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrmax

Reaction score
"1-1/2 plastic Tube" for Tub waste and overflow?

I am installing a new tub in my 2nd floor bathroom and trying to select the drain hardware. The local big box store sells tub drain kits using either "1-1/2 inch plastic tube" or Schedule 40 PVC.

The advantage of the "1-1/2 inch plastic tube" system in my situation is the pipes and joints are smaller (the space is tight) and they screw together so I can adjust the fit if they don't go together exactly right the first time.

The kit I'm referring to using "1-1/2 inch plastic tube"

keeney plastic kit.jpg

The manufacturer describes the tubing as "1-1/2 inch plastic tube" and it's the same system you might see used for an inexpensive sink trap: white plastic with compression fittings that you screw together. No glue like regular schedule 40 PVC.

I understand why a leak under a tub is bad (won't be able to see, mold, etc.) and I definitely want to avoid a leak.

The guy at the store argued strongly that I should NOT use "1-1/2 inch plastic tube" for a tub drain because it will leak. Makes me wonder why they sell them, but i guess that's what you get at big box stores...

I see lavatory drains all the time that use the "1-1/2 inch plastic tube" system. Why can't I use that same system for a tub waste and overflow? Is this type of system inherently more likely to leak?

Thanks for your advice!

MrMax

ps - I edited my original post because I was referring to the system as 'schedule 20' which is apparently not the right name. Also cleared up that I am referring to a tub waste and overflow kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
What you are refering to is a waste and overflow,the parts that attach to the tub.Am I correct? This is what I have installed on all the a lot of tubs.

Attachments

• waste & overflow.jpg
    waste & overflow.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 933
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks