Scald stops!!! Grrrrrr!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Maria Starkey

Reaction score
Just built a house. We have plumbing fixtures from Speakman in our 3 guest baths and 2 of them get hot water just fine. The 3rd one, our daughters, and the one bath that will used more than ANY of them with the exception of the master, STILL has some sort of scald ring/setting on it because the plumber was just lazy and didn't want to take it apart to remove it. He even tried to tell me that the other bathrooms were getting the SAME hot water feed but I've now tested ALL the showers and he is basically just full of hot air. He even tried to tell me 'the tankless hot water heater doesn't get any hotter' because first I thought that was the issue. I asked him how to 'set the heater higher' because we weren't getting hot water in our master shower that was the closest to it. I figured out on my OWN that it was a scald stop that is in all bath valves that was keeping the water from getting any more than 'lukewarmish'. The master fixtures were from Signature Hardware in Kentucky and when I called them they were MOST helpful. I'm a longtime DIYer but usually stay away from plumbing and electrical (except for the occasional, change out a switch, unclog a p-trap, etc.). The plumber on the help line there told me they call it the 'lawyer ring'.

It was later, when our daughter was home from college that I realized the other baths were also an issue. She then said, that maybe one of the other baths was working and tried the one that literally backs up to hers. Hot water flowing just FINE in there with the mirror image of bath fixtures. Then she tried the 3rd bath that sits on the opposite side of the house (right next to the master) and it worked fine. So, we had 2 of 4 baths with hot water, then I fixed the master with the help of Signature Hardware. Now it's just my daughters bath and she'll be home soon for her summer internship and I know she'll be doing the 'bathroom shuffle' again if I don't figure out how to get that dang scald stop out of that valve. In our house we are all old enough and smart enough NOT to burn ourselves with water.

Please Help! We have the Speakman 6040 Valve and there is a scald stop of some kind in this valve but for the life of me I can't see it. I've compared the valves from the 2 bathrooms WITH hot water, to my daughters, withOUT. Short of paying a hefty fee to do what the plumber should have done in the first place (and obviously DID do to the other two bathroom valves) I need some guidance on whether this is something I should attempt myself. I already have the covers off the valve. I just can't tell 'what part' is the scald stop.

I wonder what the world is coming to. Don't drink hot coffee at McDonalds, because you MIGHT burn yourself. Don't put your ladder on a pile of manure because it might be soft and your ladder will sink and you'll fall and break your neck. Don't look both ways before crossing the street . . . REALLY?? We are removing the need for common sense I think!! I say 'survival of the fittest' should prevail!! lol

Ok, now I just need some help with my problem. Thanks your your help.

Reach4

Reaction score

Attachments

• pix_1.GIF
    pix_1.GIF
    25.3 KB · Views: 209

Maria Starkey

Reaction score

Mine looks like this. I'm not sure the correlation between the mentioned O-Ring & TLS plate, and how those match up to mine. It looks different. Had the full front plate off of it too but then I turned the water on and almost soaked my phone when the shower was still on because the tub/shower lever is at the bottom of the trim plate and you have to use that lever to change it from one to the other. I didn't realize it was on shower. Ooops!

See the photos I took.

Is there another fitting that comes off? Does the large silver cover come off? It looks like it is threaded but I really don't want to damage anything by trying to take that off.

Last edited:

Maria Starkey

Reaction score
Mine looks like this. I'm not sure the correlation between the mentioned O-Ring & TLS plate, and how those match up to mine. It looks different. Had the full front plate off of it too but then I turned the water on and almost soaked my phone when the shower was still on because the tub/shower lever is at the bottom of the trim plate and you have to use that lever to change it from one to the other. I didn't realize it was on shower. Ooops!

See the photos I took.

Is there another fitting that comes off? Does the large silver cover come off? It looks like it is threaded but I really don't want to damage anything by trying to take that off.

Reach4

Reaction score
How do the other valves look from the same view?

If you remove the copper-colored clip, could you rotate the piece labeled "PAT 185368" (or whatever the number is) so that the bigger arc is over the green protrusion instead of having it tightly contained by the smaller arc? Just guessing. But I do suspect that comparing with the working valves will show something, and that prying the clip off an doing something is the solution.

Before prying off the retaining clip, close/cover the drain on the tub/shower; don't lose the clip. Pry off with a small flat blade screwdriver. Put it back with your fingers followed by pliers to seat the clip.

I did try looking up variations on the patent number, but found nothing relevant. That is a very short patent number. The US was already past 999999 in the 1800s.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks