Say hello to NO LEAD

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jimbo, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

http://www.contracostatimes.com/bay-area-news/ci_17037135?nclick_check=1

Law signed by algore's best friend obama...makes the lead free faucet rules FEDERAL. Phase in started, deadline is 3 years ( Jan 2014)

Obviously the manufacturer's saw this coming which is why ALL the brands have been migrating most or all of their product line to lead free.

As an aside, I have a pic which I will post tomorrow. It is of the bottom of 2 lav faucets, one PP, 1 Delta. BOTH show an IDENTICAL, very unique configuration of assorted lead free components.. I will post the pic and ask you if there is ANY POSSIBILITY that that they are not made in the same chinese factory! Film at 11:00~

[​IMG]

The threaded shanks are brass, lined with plastic. The waterway body, the side towards the camera, feels like metal, but does not seem to be brass. That waterway body is a 2 piece, and the upper half IS plastic. The internal waterway up to the spout is also plastic.

The faucet on the left is a Price Pfister, and the one on the right is Delta.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

Given the recent history of lead paint in children's toys! I wonder how reliable those same Chinese factories can be for these components? Giving up our manufacturing capabilities and handing them over to the Chinese (along with the rest of the world) is the biggest economic long-term blunder in the history of mankind. We will pay for this short-sightedness for 100 years. But I digress, sorry--had to vent.

Not sure the Feds makes much difference, didn't all the mfgs switch over because CA market is too large to ignore and having two product lines with and w/o lead doesn't make sense economically? But in any case, what's the downside of LF? Do y'all not like it just b/c it seems unnecessary? Or did prices go up?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you like all plastic faucets, then you will love LF legislation.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

pic added to original post...take a look!
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Chicago Faucets do a nice lead-free range. They just cost even more than normal...which is saying something.

So I will be turning to them.

Common sense would have banned guns rather than lead in faucets. But there ain't much of that in this country.
  6. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

I received a Moen leadless recently that said made in USA. We do have some foundrys around still. No liner.