Save me from a divorce

Users who are viewing this thread

WifeWoes

Reaction score
I bought a Toto single piece toilet that has a base that is covered. It's only two years old and the valve is leaking and my husband is trying to replace the whole valve assembly. We can not unthread the plastic nut that holds the valve assembly in the tank. It appears to be torqued too tight. My husband blames me for buying a fancy toilet and I am quite frankly feed up at his DIY skills. He bought a special wrench to clamp onto the plastic nut but because of the design, it is too long to clamp on to the nut. He will pull the whole toilet out today. Any advice on how to remove this nut and save the hassle of a whole toilet removal?

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you referring to the fill valve-- the thing that the hose from the wall connects to? Or are you referring to the flush valve that sits in the middle of the tank?

WifeWoes

Reaction score
Are you referring to the fill valve-- the thing that the hose from the wall connects to? Or are you referring to the flush valve that sits in the middle of the tank?
it is the fill valve on the side

Reach4

Reaction score
I just looked at pictures of the Toto Soiree, and I cannot see why access to that nut would be harder than for a 2-piece. Maybe you have a different skirted toilet.

It seems to me that you will want to replace the supply hose-- at least that is what I have seen recommend. In that case, you could cut the hose near the nut, and use a socket wrench on that nut.

If that does not work well, perhaps you could grab that nut from below with a fairly big ViceGrip.

WifeWoes

Reaction score
I just looked at pictures of the Toto Soiree, and I cannot see why access to that nut would be harder than for a 2-piece. Maybe you have a different skirted toilet.

It seems to me that you will want to replace the supply hose-- at least that is what I have seen recommend. In that case, you could cut the hose near the nut, and use a socket wrench on that nut.

If that does not work well, perhaps you could grab that nut from below with a fairly big ViceGrip.

WifeWoes

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. my husband had to remove the whole toilet due to the nut being so thin and wrenches being too wide. They just slip off the plastic when turned. The specialty wrench was too long to grab the nut. All around a bad design for the nut.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are you divorcing him or is he divorcing you ?

Right Tight , Left Loose.

Show him how to do it.

Good Luck on your project.

WifeWoes

Reaction score
drama should be over soon....he will never let me live down buying a toto yet he can drive audi vs. a ford.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On that bowl, I use pliers to remove the nut. I'm sorry your husband doesn't have strong fingers, but it's one of the easiest things we do in plumbing; replacing a fill valve.
Removing the toilet to replace a fill valve is unheard of. I think next time you need to find a high school kid that plays sports and give him some pliers. Yes, a big cluncky wrench will not work, and that's why you sometimes need more than one tool in your tool box.

Keep your marraige intact. After that horrible ordeal, he deserves breakfast in bed. :)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see much deeper issues here than a stubborn plastic nut.

Let the shrink sort it out.

Sluggo

Reaction score
You can only be fed up with his DIY skills if he has any. The jury is out on that point...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Two things.
1. When one of my customer's husband caused a DIY problem, she took his tools away from him
2. A plumber will be a lot cheaper than a divorce, and maybe not much more expensive than the tools he is buying, plus being less traumatic than removing the toilet.
3. Removing the toilet to change a fill valve, is almost as ridiculous as trading in the Audi because the ashtray is full.
4. Has you husband ever tried INSTALLING a one-piece toilet? They are heavy and not much fun to line up with the bolts on the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
In retrospect, I wonder if he could have turned the fill valve CCW by hand from above after disconnecting hoses.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In retrospect, I wonder if he could have turned the fill valve CCW by hand from above after disconnecting hoses.

The nut needs to be unthreaded from below. They come snugged up pretty tight, but with a pair of pliers, it's easily doable. I can see if would have been difficult with the tools you see plumbers use in movies.
I was watching one movie, the "plumber" was using a 24" pipe wrench on the wrong side of the toilet tank, laying on his back. What in the world can you do with a pipe wrench on a toilet? Especially one that big. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the fill valve is the problem. "The fill valve is leaking" doesn't give much detail about where the leak is occurring. It very well might be the cap on the fill valve that needs replacing. Quick, simple, and no tools needed. Maybe the whole valve needs replacing, but ???

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For the husband to be crapping all over the wife for buying a "fancy" toilet...I'd like to kick his ass personally.

Hey, douche, maybe the problem is YOU.

That said, she loves him, so....

But seriously, blame the wife for your own inabilities? Sounds like a personality disorder to me.

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
NEVER question yourself for buying a TOTO. In my opinion, my most favorite brand of toilet. I make a point to suggest them to all of my customers and have never been disappointed with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks