sanity check on pb valve install

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Pimbley, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Pimbley

Pimbley New Member

Sweated in my pb valve and three way diverter. Seems ok.

Hooked up the hot inlet and thought I'd check my solder joints on that side before I hook up the cold (in case of redo).

So, turned the water. No leaks, but when I turn the valve on not a drip either from the cold inlet (exposed) of via the diverter (normal path of water). The not pipe gets warm right down to the valve.

Is this because the valve is pressure balanced, senses there is zero pressure on the cold and stops the hot flowing completely. I'm impressed if so.

Or is this bogus and the valve must be broken?

Thx - Pimbley
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Yup, the valve is doing its job.
  3. Pimbley

Pimbley New Member

Thx!

Can relax a bit!
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Once in awhile, I've heard stories of jamming it hard to one side with the other supply off will need a little help coming loose again. If so, nothing's broken, but you might have to take things apart to loosen it up. Probably not on a new valve.
  5. Pimbley

Pimbley New Member

Cold's on and all is well - thx.

Now the drywall and tile!