Sanitary Tee on side?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mastas, Apr 20, 2007.

1. mastas

mastas New Member

[​IMG]
    A wye and 45, sometimes called a combination fitting or combo.

I've googled to the end and couldn't find a definitive answer, so I'm hoping to get it here.

[​IMG]
    Santee

Is it possible to use a sanitary tee in a waste line on its side? I'm doing this to change directions/tap into an existing waste line.

and from the differing answers I found, none of them gave a clue as to why this can't be done, other than to say it can't be done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  2. kordts

kordts In the Trades

[​IMG]

You need a wye, or tee-wye. A horizontal to horizontal change of direction needs to be sweeping.
  3. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

the turn radius on a san tee is too tight, it will eventually have a problem with clogging.
  4. mastas

mastas New Member

thanks for the quick replys.

Sometimes, google isn't the best place for information.
  5. dmpogo

dmpogo New Member

What about vertical to horizontal ? (Although I could feel advantage of
    45+wye in this case as well)
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    vertical to horizontal, wye

[​IMG]

horizontal to horizontal, wye

[​IMG]
    horizontal to vertical, santee or wye unless the vertical is used as a vent, and then a santee.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  7. mrmedic

mrmedic Junior Member

[​IMG]
    Are combo's OK? The type that is like a "T" but has a sweep 90 sort of with it?
    This is for a horizontal to horizontal.

Ron
  8. kordts

kordts In the Trades

[​IMG]
    Yes, a store bought combo is also known as tee-wye. I hadn't seen them until recently, we made them up and always called them combos.