Saniflo toilet pump: routing discharge pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm running the 1" dia pvc discharge pipe from my Saniflo "SaniBest" macerating pump in my basement to my house main drain (also in the basement, but 6ft high off the floor). The installation instructions say:

"If you require a vertical lift, it should precede any horizontal run and should commence as near as possible to the discharge elbow (no more than 18 inches away). Once you have started the horizontal run, you cannot change directions in an upward vertical manner."

That's a strange statement because head loss is head loss, no matter whether vertical or horizontal. In my case (overall 6ft vertical lift, overall 10ft horizontal) , I can't run vertically up first because I have to avoid a basement window.

Has anyone had any similar installation experience, and any subsequent issues?
Thanks
Theodore

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
No experience with these units - but interested - since I may be getting one in the near future.

The instructions http://www.saniflo.com/upload/products/57/220818-manual_sanibest-pro.pdf say :
"The unit pumps the effluent upward to 25 feet and/or 150 feet horizontally (with gravity fall). Once the water level in the container goes down, the micro switch deactivates."

So once the vertical pumping is accomplished, the rest of the sewage movement is by gravity. It makes sense to have the vertical pipe as close to the pump as possible. They also use the word "should" and " as close as possible".

One concern may be that if the horizontal distance out of the tank is too far, the tank water level will drop (and turn off pump) before the sewage has been pushed up the vertical pipe.

In your situation how far do you need to run the horizontal (to clear window) before turning vertical?

You should call the manufacturer and get clarification on your plans before getting too far into it.
Good luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
That's a strange statement because head loss is head loss, no matter whether vertical or horizontal. In my case (overall 6ft vertical lift, overall 10ft horizontal) , I can't run vertically up first because I have to avoid a basement window.
How about turning the discharge pipe? Does that get you by the window on the other side?
img_4.png

Theodore

Reaction score
Overall horizontal run would be 10ft, overall vertical run would be 6ft.

I spoke to tech support at the manufacturer today. I explained that head loss (vertical or horizontal) is head loss (or so they taught us in fluid mechanics). They told me they've done tests and best to go by their recommendation, otherwise if something goes wrong, it's all on me. Ultimately, it's all on me either way. Nevertheles, I then talked to one of my mechanical engineer friends, who agreed with me in principle, but reminded me that solids could settle at the bottom of one of my vertical legs (subsequent to the initial vertical leg) and cause a clog. That's probably a good enough reason to try to avoid a vertical after a horizontal and stick to their instructions.

The trouble with attempting to go "over" window is that the ceiling joists are immediately above the window and so I can't really be above it. There's no ability to soffit the discharge pipe to disguise it because I'd end up starting to block off the top of the window frame with the soffit. So, I guess I'll have a "pipe of forced unpleasantness", in full view, directly over my bar sink, across the top of the basement window. More of a psychological issue at this point, I suppose. :)

Follow up question: when my discharge pipe gets to the main drain, I know I need to connect via a wye. I find online sources saying that the incoming discharge pipe's leg on the wye should be no less than the 3 o'clock position (horizontal), and some sources that say it MUST be vertical (at the 12 o'clock position) into the pipe. Which to choose??

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks