Sand Well tripping circuit breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

bsprings21

Reaction score
I recently started having a problem with my sand well tripping the circuit breaker. I replaced it with a dual 30 (originally it was a dual 20). The circuit breaker still is being tripped. I pulled the pump and motor from the well and replaced the pump thinking that was the problem. I put the motor and pump back in the well but did not hook it back to the irrigation system but let it flow freely. It did fine and did not thru the breaker, however when I hooked it back to the irrigation system it started throwing the breaker again. I pulled the pump and motor again and this time replaced the motor this time. Put it back in the well. It is still tripping the breaker. What should I try next? What would cause the breaker to trip if it is not the motor or the pump?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When you say hooked back to the irrigation system, are you using a pump start relay from the irrigation controller, or does it have a pressure tank and pressure switch? Did you check for a short? You could have a nick in the wire down the well or underground. May have never been a motor problem.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
A breaker with a trip curve not suited to this application?
You need to make some clamp-on ammeter measurements.

bsprings21

Reaction score
When you say hooked back to the irrigation system, are you using a pump start relay from the irrigation controller, or does it have a pressure tank and pressure switch? Did you check for a short? You could have a nick in the wire down the well or underground. May have never been a motor problem.

I have a pressure tank and pressure switch. I did observe today that the pump does not have to be running to trip the breaker. I can reset the breaker and wait 10 - 12 minutes and the breaker will trip without using the irrigation system. One other bit of information. The well is about 170 feet from the breaker box. The wire going to the pump is a 12-2. I was told that at that distance, i need a 10-2, the wire is to small and is tripping the breaker. Any idea's?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I did observe today that the pump does not have to be running to trip the breaker. I can reset the breaker and wait 10 - 12 minutes and the breaker will trip without using the irrigation system.
It almost certainly has to be a bad connection at the breaker, causing localized heating which is fooling the breaker into tripping.
This bad connection persists with changing out breakers.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thatguy,no heating without usage.It breaks with the pump off.Still check the wires to the pressure switch....Upper

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
If the breaker trips when there is (no) draw.
Like has been said that can't happen.

There is something causing a load on the breaker.

Take both ends on the wire off. Off the power and off the load.
Make sure the wires are not touching anything.
Take a ohm meter and test the wires for a ground. If there is a split or small crack in the wire, it may be causing it to go to ground(causing a short in the wire) and tripping the breaker.

Just a thought.

Travis

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The well is about 170 feet from the breaker box. The wire going to the pump is a 12-2. I was told that at that distance, i need a 10-2, the wire is to small and is tripping the breaker. Any idea's?

A loop distance of 2x170' of #12 AWG copper will give you 0.54 Ω. For a <5% voltage drop at 240v you'd need to draw <22A or <11A at 120v.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Waterwell dude is right on That Guy we need answers not a fact parade,Love ya Upper

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If the voltage drops too low the motor will draw excessive current, but the OP seems to have other problems.

Symptoms not making sense means we are all assuming something that isn't true. Figuring out what that might be is real work.:(

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the motor is not running,what does your post number 8 have to do with anything?answer this question only please I don't want to get sidetracked...................Upper

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If the motor is not running,what does your post number 8 have to do with anything?answer this question only please I don't want to get sidetracked...................Upper
#8 only applies if the motor is running. The fourth post mentioned wire size as a possible cause of problems. The wiring recommendations that come with the motor should be followed, and my post was supposed to address why wire size is important when a motor is the load.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
"my sand well tripping the circuit breaker. I replaced it with a dual 30 (originally it was a dual 20). The circuit breaker still is being tripped."

So it's unlikely to be the breaker.

"replaced the pump thinking that was the problem.
and this time replaced the motor this time. "

So it's unlikely to be the pump or motor.

"the pump does not have to be running to trip the breaker. I can reset the breaker and wait 10 - 12 minutes and the breaker will trip without using the irrigation system. "

Intermittent short circuit?
10 minutes would be a very mild overload, maybe 33A or 35A on a 30A breaker.

What else is left that has not been considered?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks