Sand Point Depth Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Polarbob

Reaction score
I have had a sandpoint well in northern wisconsin for 30 years. Every couple of years I need to pull and replace the point because it becomes plugged. When I replace the point I get about 5 GPM but after a couple of years I need to measure in minutes per gallon (really). Also, if I run too much water (like several toilet flushes and several consecutive showers) the well goes dry for 12 hours or so.

The 1.25" X 36" point is down 13 feet at the bottom and the static water level is around 7 feet. To try and get away from the tri-anual replacement ritual and the dry spells, I decided to drive a 2"X36" with larger screen size and I went to 19'. As it turns out there is no water at 19'. I fill the pipe and the next day it's still nearly full. So it appears that I overshot the vein.

Here is my question. I have it in my head that I need to go deeper to find a more reliable vein. How likely is it that there is a second deeper vein? Or am I better off pulling back up and testing every so often to find an optimal position in the vein that I know is there? My concern with the latter is that the well will continue to run dry on occasion and I also worry about contaminants this close to the surface.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Going deeper is no guarantee of anything.
The best way to know if there is any water deeper is to ask around, anyone that may have the same type setup you have.
Theres may be deeper or maybe not be.

If no one knows, you could maybe ask a driller or two. They may know if there is one with more water in your area.

Lastly, is trial and err. Drive look, drive look.

Travis

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
You know this Waterwelldude is Topps........Upper

Ya know, "Topps" are about ready to release a new set of my cards.
Be sure and order your set early, they sell out fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks