sand in water

Users who are viewing this thread

eelliott681

Reaction score
I recently had a new well bored. I get a lot of sand in my water lines. A few plumbers suggested raising up my pump. How do i do that?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How? Pull the pump up and shorten the pipe. That might just lose you storage though.

The well driller's report should say how deep the well is and if the driller set the pump it should also say how deep the pump is. Is this a mud well or a rock well?

If it's a mud well, the pump could be churning it up due to too high a GPM. What size casing? What size pump?

You might need to put in a sand separator.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Could also mean the driller did not finish developing the well, or the screen is not the correct size.
Ja, I had a problem with sand and tried raising the pump but the sand just rose with it. I had to get the driller back and he dumped a tanker load of water down the well to push the mud back where it came from and then put some crushed stone down the well to hold back the mud.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Ja I had to get the driller back and he dumped a tanker load of water down the well to push the mud back where it came from and then put some crushed stone down the well to hold back the mud.

I find that hard to believe.
Did your well have a screen in it?
I have washed out the sand in an old well, but the sand cant be pushed back into the ground.

Now mud on the other hand can be pushed back, but it will come back into the well if water is pumped out of the well no matter what is put down there to hold it back.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No screen in the well. One pump guy wanted to put an air line down the well to blow the mud out but my well guy said it was a bad idea as removing the mud could create a cavern and future cave-ins. He had used his 5 GPM pump to clear the well initially and it ran clear so he didn't think the chrushed stone was necessary. When I put in my 10 GPM pump, it drew too much, too fast and sucked up enough mud to jam up the pump.

I pulled the pump and raised it 2 feet and the mud plugged it up again. After the driller pushed the mud back and dropped the crushed stone, the mud stayed down. Mind you, after all the mud the pump ate, it can no longer move 10 GPM either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks