Users who are viewing this thread

CuriousLiam

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Fleck 5600SXT salt water softener and asked a plumber to install it. He installed it in a way that the drain of the water softener leads to our garden. I was wondering if that is gonna cause any problems for the plants? In other words, does the drainage of the water softener contain any salt? I'm using Morton Sodium Chloride Salt for my system.

Here's the exact model of my water softener system:

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Fleck 5600SXT salt water softener and asked a plumber to install it. He installed it in a way that the drain of the water softener leads to our garden. I was wondering if that is gonna cause any problems for the plants? In other words, does the drainage of the water softener contain any salt? I'm using Morton Sodium Chloride Salt for my system
Yes and yes.

Usually that goes to the sewer, septic tank or a "dry well".

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Usually yes... but...

I have seen at least 100 installs in my 30+ years of doing this where the softener dumped right onto the lawn. The first time I saw this as a rookie service tech in the 80's, I told the homeowner it cant be installed that way because it will kill his beautiful, lush green lawn... I realized immediately after those words came out of my mouth that this softener was at least 20 years old... and had been dumping on the lawn for 20 years...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks