salt on concrete

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by rburt5, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I 've always heard that salt will destroy my concrete driveway and sidewalk. The other day a guy told me that table salt will destroy concrete, but rock salt will not. Is he right?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Table salt is refined rock salt...neither is great on concrete.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you are talking about ice, the dedicated ice melt products have less sodium chloride, and use a blend of calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and assorted wonder ingredients. They usually state that they are safe for concrete which is at least 1 year old...used in moderation.

The crumbling state of bridges etc in the northeast is due in part to all the salt used on the roads in years past. It got in, rusted the rebar, which spalled the concrete.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I have a concrete driveway that I have used ice melt products on for 25 years. I use it less now because I have a snow blower, but sometimes ice forms on the concrete and it is a real hazard, so I still use it some. The surface of the driveway is badly pitted. I am looking at resurfacing with asphalt.