sagging cpvc line and UV question

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisRice

Reaction score
I removed a ceiling tile in my basement the other day and noticed a section of cpvc, 1/2" about 8' long has a pretty good sag in it. I can see why whoever put it in didn't add a support as you can't get any hands in there. I think I could get one of those hook shaped hangers in there but I'm only going to get one shot at it and lets just say I'm not so good with hammer.

Is the bowing an issue that needs to be addressed right away or at all? My Dad is a bit more skilled (okay A LOT more) than me and if it can go another couple months I'd rather let him have a go at it.

There's a waste line and a gas line run parallel with the water line which is above a heating duct so theres just a tiny spot to get a hanger, and a hammer, let alone a hand.

I guess my question is, what happens when cpvc isn't supported properly and sags like that? It doesn't make any popping or groaning noises, the joints on either end have supports right by them so they don't appear stressed at all, there's just a nice bow in the pipe. Does this limit the life span of the line?

While I'm at it, I keep reading that cpvc needs to remain out of the sunlight? Is this direct sunlight or if there's a window in the room you need to cover the pipe? I have some exposed pipe in my garage which has a couple windows (and the garage door) do I need to use that foam insulation or some latex paint?

I love this forum you all have been a great help in my random plumbing needs as of late.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far as the sag is concerned, I think it probably should be corrected, but it is not an emergency. I really don't know what the long term effect will be. I prefer screws in tight spots where swinging a hammer is difficult. My favorite screw for many uses is a phillips/square drive deck screw. These are self starting and drive easily with a power driver.

ChrisRice

Reaction score
Thanks. The joists are super close right there my drill/driver won't fit, I watched my dad put a nail in a tight spot like that but I don't want to try it as if it will be even harder to remove, and let's just say my hammering skills arent so good :).

I get that uv and cpvc aren't friends what I'm trying to find out is if it's an issue with direct sunlight or just light in general. Like the window in my garage allow light in but the sun never shines anywhere near the exposed pipes...it's more a curiosity thing as I'm putting foam insulation on everything anyway.

Thanks for the replies

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks