Safety of silicone in faucet fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I have done a repair on a swiveling kitchen faucet.
The failure was in the O-rings around the swiveling center supply post.

The O-rings are lubricated and sealed(?) with silicone that came with the O-rings.
I find it disturbing that drinking water is flowing over silicone.

Has anyone back checked "plumbing" silicone and how it was validated to be safe?
Are there any chemist out there who are familiar with silicone variants and the reactions with treated water?

Thank you

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Should be no problem.

They use food grade silicone for Ice Maker trays.

And they put it in Boobs.

Have Fun.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Food grade silicone is also found in my draft beer system tap. No bad flavors from it. If the FDA didn't approve it, hopefully they wouldn't use it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How much of the lube is actually in contact with the water you drink, anyway. You are being paranoid, or you live in California. As an aside, I don't lubricate my "O" rings.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
The silicone needs to be put on heavy so that the faucet swivels.
It is what seals above and below the chamber that feeds the spout.

I take it there is no bad news anyone has heard.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Silicone is produced in all sorts of variations...a quality plumber's silicon grease is non-toxic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Alaska or South Africa, huh? That means I either have to freeze my butt off or get eaten by a lion or a great white. No thanks. One of the articles mentions a Lockheed Electra. My daughter and I rode in an Electra from O'Hare to Benton Harbor. Since it was just a short hop the pilot stayed low. My daughter was terrified. Between the noise and vibration, (it was her first prop driver plane ride), then seeing the waters of Lake Michigan "right below the plane" she was sure we were all going to die.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
One of the articles mentions a Lockheed Electra. My daughter and I rode in an Electra from O'Hare to Benton Harbor. Since it was just a short hop the pilot stayed low.

Sorry for the thread creek.

I got to ride jump seat in an Electra from Griffiss AFB, NY to Tinker AFB, Oklahoma back in 1969. I was bringing some secret equipment to the depot for repair.

After getting out of the USAF I got my pilot license and have since logged over 3,000 hours as Pilot in Command, almost all propeller driven aircraft. Great hobby.

JR

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks