saddle valve on black pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
I'm helping my soon to be ex-wife move into her new rental house. For the gas dryer, it has what looks to be a big zinc saddle valve with a copper line coming off of it. The line is about twice as big as a water supply for an ice maker.

Would this be enough to supply gas for a modern day gas dryer?

Would this be safe to use?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not use a saddle valve on anything. I am not personally familiar with a saddle valve on black iron pipe, but IMHO, it should not be used. I seriously doubt that it is approved for gas use, and I can't imagine how a saddle valve could puncture the wall of black iron pipe sufficiently to get the gas flow needed for a clothes dryer. Saddle valves for ice makers are frequently used and almost as frequently, they fail, so I would definitely not use one on gas.

Rombo

Reaction score
saddle vales for black pipe have to be drilled out. But i sure as hell wouldn't use a saddle on a gas line

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I question what you really have. It would be very helpful to post a picture. Sometimes the unfamiliar names of things and descriptions make it very difficult to communicate. I really wonder if this is a saddle valve on a gas pipe, and if it is, the person who put it there should be arrested.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmmm soon to be ex-wife moving into a house with funky gas piping:D
You lucky dog!
I had to wait until the kids turned 18 to be done with mine!:mad:

Where is the justice in this world?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In my area they have approved, in recent years, to use 1/2" OD copper lines for gas appliances (I'm not a big fan), but I have never seen or do I ever want to see a saddle valve on a gas line.

Fubar411

Reaction score
I wish I could get a pic. Unfortunately, we're now not talking again. She got her nice mother's day party, but we got into an argument about who gets the new front loading washer/dryer vs. the 8 yo top loading washer/dryer. Both sets have a gas dryer, but her place is set up for electric and this weird saddle valve thing is disconnected.

It was zinc colored, BIG as it was sitting on 3/4" black pipe, and it had a big hinge

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
saddle

It is a saddle valve they say can be used for gas supplies but I would not do it. If it is already installed, and not leaking, then you can probably connect to it safely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks