saddle valve on black pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Fubar411, May 12, 2008.

1. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

I'm helping my soon to be ex-wife move into her new rental house. For the gas dryer, it has what looks to be a big zinc saddle valve with a copper line coming off of it. The line is about twice as big as a water supply for an ice maker.

Would this be enough to supply gas for a modern day gas dryer?

Would this be safe to use?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I would not use a saddle valve on anything. I am not personally familiar with a saddle valve on black iron pipe, but IMHO, it should not be used. I seriously doubt that it is approved for gas use, and I can't imagine how a saddle valve could puncture the wall of black iron pipe sufficiently to get the gas flow needed for a clothes dryer. Saddle valves for ice makers are frequently used and almost as frequently, they fail, so I would definitely not use one on gas.
  3. rombo

rombo New Member

saddle vales for black pipe have to be drilled out. But i sure as hell wouldn't use a saddle on a gas line
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The more I think about this, the more I question what you really have. It would be very helpful to post a picture. Sometimes the unfamiliar names of things and descriptions make it very difficult to communicate. I really wonder if this is a saddle valve on a gas pipe, and if it is, the person who put it there should be arrested.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Hmmmm soon to be ex-wife moving into a house with funky gas piping:D
    You lucky dog!
    I had to wait until the kids turned 18 to be done with mine!:mad:

Where is the justice in this world?
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Seriously this don't sound good... Post a pic!:eek:
  7. krow

krow Plumber

In my area they have approved, in recent years, to use 1/2" OD copper lines for gas appliances (I'm not a big fan), but I have never seen or do I ever want to see a saddle valve on a gas line.
  8. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

I wish I could get a pic. Unfortunately, we're now not talking again. She got her nice mother's day party, but we got into an argument about who gets the new front loading washer/dryer vs. the 8 yo top loading washer/dryer. Both sets have a gas dryer, but her place is set up for electric and this weird saddle valve thing is disconnected.

It was zinc colored, BIG as it was sitting on 3/4" black pipe, and it had a big hinge
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

saddle

It is a saddle valve they say can be used for gas supplies but I would not do it. If it is already installed, and not leaking, then you can probably connect to it safely.