Saddle tee on 3/4 k copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Adkroot

Reaction score
I need to install a saddle tee on 3/4 k copper so that I can install a pressure gauge. Max pressure on this line won't exceed 60 psi. Because of existing constraints I can't cut and sweat a fitting so the saddle tee is the only way to do this... so far as my knowledge goes.

My question is regarding the saddle tee and whether it'll be a sound fitting that I can rely on. Once I commit to it I won't have a simple alternative if it doesn't work.
Thanks

ronhei

Reaction score
I need to install a saddle tee on 3/4 k copper so that I can install a pressure gauge. Max pressure on this line won't exceed 60 psi. Because of existing constraints I can't cut and sweat a fitting so the saddle tee is the only way to do this... so far as my knowledge goes.

My question is regarding the saddle tee and whether it'll be a sound fitting that I can rely on. Once I commit to it I won't have a simple alternative if it doesn't work.
Thanks

You can buy a brass Shark Bite "T" at Lowe's in sizes from 3/8" to 1". A Shark Bit 3/4" T will run you about $13.00. You just take a copper pipe cutter and cut the pipe and push the two ends into the T. Will that not work for you?

Adkroot

Reaction score
I don't think it'll work because the 3/4 k copper supply enters a service pit and in a very short and moderately curved length terminates at a check valve that's connected to a manifold. No possibility of straightening the copper supply enough to facilitate a sound connection in any type of fitting, and once the copper's cut its a point of no return without a lot of work. It enters the service pit through concrete 6' below grade.

Adkroot

Reaction score
Scrutinized the copper tubing and I think I just might be able to sweat a tee on it. Not much leeway, but looking at the saddle tee and considering the higher integrity of the existing plumbing I just can't bring myself to install it... even if it would work. Thanks

Adkroot

Reaction score
No, not really. But I can measure and cut the tubing twice so installing the tee shouldn't be too bad. You see, the issue is the the entire length of tubing between its entrance into the pit and connection to the check valve at the manifold is pretty darn short and curved just enough to make getting a tee in there a little tricky. That's why I considered the saddle tee, but I think I can do it without the saddle tee. If not, you'll hear from me soon enough!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look into a repair coupling...it looks like a normal one, but it does not have a stop inside so you can freely push it over the pipe...insert your device with enough of a stub sticking out, then slide it back over to bridge the joint, then solder it on. If you can move things a little bit, you might be able to put one of these on...it can be slid on a ways, then release, align the other end, and slid back.
PF-Female-Centre-Slip-Tee.jpg

Adkroot

Reaction score
Look into a repair coupling...it looks like a normal one, but it does not have a stop inside so you can freely push it over the pipe...insert your device with enough of a stub sticking out, then slide it back over to bridge the joint, then solder it on. If you can move things a little bit, you might be able to put one of these on...it can be slid on a ways, then release, align the other end, and slid back.View attachment 34933

That looks like the ticket. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks