S Trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by davesyo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. davesyo

davesyo New Member

I thought S traps were not allowed anymore .Here is an S trap in a brand new house here in Baltimore county . During construction I saw the pvc pipe coming up through the floor where the kitchen sink would be .So here it is .Let me know your thoughts on this .Thanks.
    DSCN0361.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

Is there some type of AAV at the top of that sani tee? It's hard to tell in your photo.
  3. davesyo

davesyo New Member

There is no AAV , I looked under there to make sure. The pipe on the left is from the sink drain and the right one is from the disposal. However I just called my local county inspection and they said it is illegal, but then they said, as long as the trap arm is twice the length of the pipe diameter it would be OK. ?????
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Two different issues. Trap arm always has to be 2 pipe-diameters (ID) from the weir. (And I'm not even sure that it is, because the trap arm is that thing on the far side of the trap that seems to immediately turn down.)

Even if that was an AAV on the top of the thing, it's in the wrong place. An AAV there would just make it easier to siphon the trap.

Is this an Island? It could be correctly done into a floor pipe using a foot vent, but not the way it is set up now.
  5. davesyo

davesyo New Member

It is not an Island ,It is the main kitchen sink in the corner of the kitchen.
  6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Hmmm. Then I'm guessing that that thing wasn't installed in accordance with the approved plans for this new construction...
  7. davesyo

davesyo New Member

I have seen this in some of the other houses in this development .
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Looks to me like the contractor brought in some unskilled labor to do the plumbing.
  9. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

You know, I was wondering the same thing, but if you look very carefully, the shiny thing is the metal band around the black plastic outlet from the disposer next to it that must be under the other part of a two-compartment sink. So we've got the disposer running into the top of that fitting, and the other sink running into the side, then both go into the S-trap.
  10. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Or DESIGN the plumbing. :) ...given how approved plans would, I assume, have to include a vent through the roof, which appears to have been left out completely.
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The reply from the building department is a CYA answer, since they did not catch it during the inspection and do not want to admit that they were incompetent enough to approve it.
  12. davesyo

davesyo New Member

Since this is right against an outside wall it seems they could of just ran a vent pipe right up through the wall and out through the 2nd floor and out the roof .Another thing is that there is only 1 vent pipe through the roof which I saw for the whole house . There are 3 baths on the 2nd floor 2 on the first and 1 in the basement and the kitchen plumbing . Not sure if 1 vent pipe is enough ?
  13. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Everything depends on HOW the piping is installed as to whether the one vent pipe is adequate.