S-Trap Workaround

Users who are viewing this thread

zinc65man

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Looking for a little advice. I have a vanity that has a "drawer" under the sink (see attached pic) so I'm unable to install a proper P-trap. That leaves me with the dreaded S-trap. But after searching this and other forums, I haven't been able to find an adequate answer to my issue. It looks like most S-trap issues are unvented, or otherwise attach to vertical drains. In my case, I have a vent only 4 inches away from the end of the "S". I just don't see a siphon happening. At the same time, I could envision possible gurgling. So here's the question, is this a rare instance where a S-trap is acceptable?

As I see it, I have 4 options.

a) Install the S-pipe as shown in the diagram.

b) Raise the T joint about 5 inches and install a proper P-trap

c) Cut the vanity and install a proper P-trap.

d) Increase the horizontal distance between the trap and the other half of the "S" thereby converting it to a legitimate P-Trap. I've heard that I need at least 2 times the pipe width. If I have 1.5 inch ABS, would that mean a horizontal run of 3 inches? I think this would fit.

My instinct tells me that the best ways to deal with this (in order) are b, c, and d. I'm hoping that no one finds an issue with a) but it's probably unlikely.

Really appreciate any commentary.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• S-Trap.jpg
    S-Trap.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,069

zinc65man

Reaction score
Well, by that short answer, I'm assume that a) the S-Trap is out. I figured as much. Let's further assume that to move the tee I'm dealing with cast iron and replacing tile that just can't be found or replaced. So I'd rather not do b) either.

If I implement the d) solution, it'll probably pass code, but will there be gurlging? (In which case, this is not a viable solution for me). Is there any plumber out there that can tell me that "yes, that is legal (barely) and that should work correctly"?

zinc65man

Reaction score
Also, a quick image of what I mean by the d) solution. A P trap where the "run" is equal to twice the width of the pipe width. So, 3 inch run for 1.5 inch ABS. It's not clear whether this should be twice the width of the pipe or twice the width of the entire trap diameter (around 8 or 9 inches) using 1.5 inch ABS.

Attachments

• modP-Trap.png
    modP-Trap.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,025

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
solution D will never pass code either. No matter what you do you need a P trap configuration there.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As long as you have a drop before the vent, you have siphon potential, and it will be ruled an S trap

zinc65man

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This morning I knocked out the drawer in the base of the vanity (which surprisingly also gives me more room to store stuff) and installed a correct P-trap. Thanks to those for addressing my specific vented S-trap question.

I guess I knew what I was supposed to do all along. I read in one of my books (Do it Yourself, Casell, Parham And Eakes, 2007) that there was no problem with an S-Trap. Also, I read here

about the "conversion" (with picture). The reason I decided to install a standard P-Trap was that about 90% of articles I read said to just avoid S-Traps, and 10% said that there was no problem. I'm one of those guys that always wants to know why? So in this case, why are these 10% of plumbers saying that it is ok? They seem to have "decades of experience" as well.

Please remember that I've already installed a P-trap, so I'm on your side.
I'm just curious as to an ambiguity in the code about run or something like that.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wrong

That is because those 10% are either not plumbers or they are construction plumbers who NEVER have to work with traps. All they have to do is install pipes the way the blueprints show them and they will never create a need for "S" traps.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So in this case, why are these 10% of plumbers saying that it is ok? They seem to have "decades of experience" as well.
10% of plumbers are lazy.
10% of plumbers don't know the codes
10% of plumbers are in their 90's (when they worked in the trade in 1950's, S-traps were allowed)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not really

10% of plumbers are in their 90's (when they worked in the trade in 1950's, S-traps were allowed)

1. I am not 90, yet.
2. I worked in the trades in the 50's.
3. "S" traps were NOT allowed then and had not been for many decades. Even "crown vents" which were an upgrade to true "S" traps had been outlawed by the 50's.
4. Your historical knowledge needs upgrading.
5. I went to the site that posted that "revising an S trap into a P trap" diagram and explained that anyone who did that must have been fired from Home Depot, and received a somewhat nasty reply that ALL their experts are professionals and I should butt out.
progress.gif

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
HJ, that site, ... wow. We could have some fun there. I think it was redwood that posted a link to an old 1910 code book that showed S-traps and my 1917 Ohio plumbing code book only prohibits mechanical traps and traps that have partitions. Also it goes into the allowed material a trap can be made of. I do love the old code books.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That particular forum is "controlled" principally by two people, both the plumbing and electrical areas, and they get a little touchy when anyone tries to horn in.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
HJ, that site, ... wow. We could have some fun there. I think it was redwood that posted a link to an old 1910 code book that showed S-traps and my 1917 Ohio plumbing code book only prohibits mechanical traps and traps that have partitions. Also it goes into the allowed material a trap can be made of. I do love the old code books.

This one....
Google Books Standard Practical Plumbing By R. M. Starbuck 1910

I almost clicked to join but then again I figured I was on enough Forums already...

Sewerratz since you already joined why don't you go back and discuss venting with them...

At least offer this "Hack" solution as better than what they show....

s-trapp-trapconversion.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
If that "LazyPup is who I think it is...he's an arrogant know-it-all who is often wrong. I'll have to check out that forum and see if I know of any of their other experts. :rolleyes:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
hj, red and ratz,
you guya make me laugh :p Did you guys hold hands when venturing into that other forum or did you guys bum rush 'em like gangbusters¿ :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks