S Trap / vanity sink drain / vent

Users who are viewing this thread

DOPeter

Reaction score
Hi. Yet another newbie question...

I am 90% done with a complete master bath renovation and was just going to hook the drain up the way it was which is with S traps. I've read to avoid the S Trap because of the possibility of siphoning and sewer gas entry.

Is is critical to convert to P-traps going through the wall? What about installing an automatic vent device in the vanity itself?

I read in a book that this is easy to do. The vanity is in place and it would be a bit of a hassle to remove (cutting out valves, etc.) See pic.

Any suggestions?

-Pete

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 940

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, it appears you have another problem...unless the drawers are quite short, you won't be able to close them with the water supply line where it is. Is there a vent? Doesnt' look like it. An inspector would likely fail this install.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the pro plumber really dislike the AAV, but in reality, unless/until they malfunction sometime, they will do the job. They must have easy access for replacement. You are going to have a drawer problem. You could shorten them so there would be space behind them. What you should have is the drain in the wall, but you'd still have some problems with the top drawer. I would have used a vanity that had doors in the center, then it wouldn't matter where the drain is located.

DOPeter

Reaction score
The water supply lines are fine, as the drawers don't go all the way to the back. And yes, i should have researched the drain work earlier. I did have a licensed plumber do the rough-in plumbing for my shower. i should have asked him about the drains. I just figured that i would hook them back up the way they were...never thought a 20 year old house would have code issues:mad:

shoulda woulda coulda... I may try the aav. If they work, fine. Otherwise, i'll bite the bullet, remove the vanity and call in a pro.

Thanks,

Pete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks