Ryobi One + tool kit

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
Home Depot sales guy said that Ryobi's new 18v lithium batteries will work fine in the 18v NiCad tools in the kit of circular saw, drill, radio and light that's on sale at HD now. Kit name is One +. Anyone know if this is true? No possible blow ups? Thanks.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I heard the same thing. Check on the Ryobi website.

Tom

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
Ryobi lithium works fine says Ryobi rep

Called Ryobi, it said lithium 18v batteries work fine in regular One+ tools. I heard it, but am still unsure. Why pay big $$$ for the new lithium tool kit when you could pay $60 for the regular One+ kit I got and use lithium batteries in it and the total cost would be far less? I know some different tools are in the different kits, but still...?

Doesn't make great marketing sense to me.

Prashster

Reaction score
The LiIon batteries are backward compatible with the older tools.
A couple mfg's have made the batts backward compatible (e.g., Dewalt).

If you buy an old tool or tool body and then buy the new LiIon batteries and charger (you'll need the new charger) then y'll likely spend as much as if you bought the new tool WITH the batts.

Ryobi and others are doing this to support their customers who have older tools already. It makes great sense to me, and if I were a Ryobi tool owner, I'd be thrilled.

Makita, on the other hand, did NOT do this bkz they timed their LiIon upgrade with a total redesigns that make the new batts incompat with the older tools.

Not to knock Ryobi, but if I were you I'd get the Dewalt instead. L___WS is having a killer sale. For $99 you can get an 18v that'll be forward compatible with the Nano batts when they come out. Now THAT's a killer deal

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually I have to say that I love my Ryobi tools. Cheap enough that you don't have to look after them to often. Any tool that Ryobi sells that doesn't come in a kit really does work. As an example check out the right angle drill that thing has an incredible amount of torque for a battery powered tool.

I have three of the kits so that when I'm doind different jobs I don't have to bother changing out bits or blades. Just grab the one I need.

I remodeled three houses with my first kit.

Another issue is that most contractors won't even give your tools a second look much less steal them.

Tom

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
Got the kit for the trim saw

Actually, the trim saw alone cost the same as the kit at HD. Got it cause I don't use cord tools much any more except for a table saw, and the little cord Ryobi circular saw I have has the blade on the right side...aggravating for right handers like me who want to see a left side blade as it cuts. I almost never use that cord saw as a result.

So, I figure I got the little cordless saw I wanted and a useful drill and a work light for free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks