Ruud power vent 2???

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by twilbanks, Jan 8, 2010.

1. twilbanks

twilbanks New Member

A snow drift blocked the outside vent and our Ruud Power Vent 2 water heater quit. The led indicator flashes 4 times, and the key interprets this as "press SW open". What do I do?
    I turned the gas off at the control panel of the water heater for now. What next?
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Kill the power to the tank and turn it back on a minute later. If you have all the venting clear now it should fire up.
  3. twilbanks

twilbanks New Member

Thanks, I'll try it
  4. twilbanks

twilbanks New Member

Killed the power. Plugged it back in and the vent motor started up, and then continued to cycle on and off. Finally it shut down again and started giving me the same 4 led flashes. I went back outside to the vent that had been covered buy the snow drift, unhooked the elbow pvc, and there was snow blocking the pipe--the wind must have pushed it up in there. Unblocked it and unplugged it and it started right up. Thanks a million!
  5. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

No problem! Glad you got it fixed.