Rusty water in toilet & out of hot water faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

lydicfamily

Reaction score
I read earlier in a forum that rust in the hot water is linked to the Hot water heater and the water softner. Not only do we have it in the hot water faucets but in the toilet tank. What are the solutions? There is nothing coming from the cold water side. Is this a hot water issue or what?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Unless you've got your toilet plumbed into the hot water line (there are a couple of reasons why somebody might do that), there's rust in the cold water. It'll show up first in the toilet tank, because a) there's lots of water in there, and b) it stands around for a long itme, giving the iron time to stain the tank, and c) it's easy to see. It'll show up in the hot water eventually because of (a) and (b). Have your water tested, both at the source and downstream from the softener, to see if you need additional treatment to remove the iron. A stopgap measure might be to flush the water heater, and perhaps chlorinate it, but I'm sure the problem will return.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What makes you say it is rust? Just by looks? Is the water cloudy or is the rust sitting on the bottom of the toilet tank?

BTW you do have it on the cold water side if it is in the toilet. Your answer to the above question will tell us a lot. Is this something that just happened?

Reach into the toilet tank a feel the rust on the bottom and tell us what it feels like.

Last edited:

lydicfamily

Reaction score
Rusty water??

It is only in the downstairs tank of the toilet and yes there is a little bit of gritty sand. We are on city water and dont have a water softner. When I run the cold water in other faucets it is really clear except for the hot water and that is rust color in all faucets. Not so bad in the upstairs bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks