Rusty pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Time1992

Reaction score
I bought and am remodeling a 30 year old house in Ca. when I took one of the shut off valves off in one bath the pipe was brownish color on the inside. We are on a well. What does this mean, should I be concerned ? water appears clear at tap. I am putting all new valves and fixtures in and if I should somehow supplement the system or change out pipes ( concrete slab ) now is the time, I am removing most all drywall to get to needed repairs. Thanks, Tim

CHH

Reaction score
A little more information might be helpful. What is the current pipe? Copper? Galvanized? Have you had the well water tested? Is the "brownish color" a thin layer or a thick or scaley deposit?

If there is galvanized pipe in the system it could be time to replace it. Copper could easily last another 30 years if the water isn't too nasty.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipes often get a coating on the inside. That is one reason that the municiple systems flush the lines periodically (often by opening numerous fire hydrants to maximize flow). If the pipes are steel though, and you are remodeling, now's the time to replace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks