Rust under sink faucet handles

Users who are viewing this thread

Bronsonb

Reaction score
All-
I'm dealing with a strange situation here. I have a pedestal sink in the master bath. The faucets were installed about 5 years ago. We've had a problem with rust forming under the outer edge of the cold water handle. Now it's started forming around the hot water handle as well.

I have no idea what is causing this. There is no leak evident (but the pipes are all under the sink anyway, right?). Could the cartridge in the handle be leaking and sending a small amount of water up to the handle, which then gathers under the handle and forms rust?

You'll notice there's no such rust under the spigot, which is where I might expect moisture to gather. The bath is well vented with both a fan and a window, not to mention an HVAC vent.

I am open to any ideas. Thanks for your help.

Picture 033.jpg
Picture 034.jpg
Picture 035.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like the manufacturer used steel someplace they shouldn't have...
Or, they weren't sealed well enough at the base...
What brand are those faucets?

Bronsonb

Reaction score
Hi Redwood! Thanks for the input. I cannot recall the brand but will have a search of the files completed to see what info is available from this work. I believe all of the warranty info was saved. I think it's a Lowe's store brand.

I was wondering if we should have put plumbers putty under the handles, but I recall the directions said not to do that.

Might just be time for a "faucet remodel"!

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Most putty is NOT safe for porcelain type materials, as they stain them. I'm glad you haven't just gone ahead and done that!. The moisture/rust could also be from condensation as well as like Redwood said, there is some steel somewhere.. a nut or just a crappy alloy.

I'd at least take the handles off and see exactly what it is. If it is a nut, it has probably contaminated the rest of the stainless/chrome so the whole handle would have to be replaced. The finish on that faucet doesn't look very good either. If you have a lifetime warranty on the finish, I'd go after it.

There are cleaners available to clean the rust stains off the sink before you put a new faucet back on.

You may want to pressure test your connections once you install the new faucet as well, just to make sure there are no leaks at all.

Bronsonb

Reaction score
No putty installed yet. Thanks for the tip. We're trying to locate the owners manual but not having luck yet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but if it is more pinkish than red, it could be a bacteria and not rust.

AlanHall

Reaction score
All-
I'm dealing with a strange situation here. I have a pedestal sink in the master bath. The faucets were installed about 5 years ago. We've had a problem with rust forming under the outer edge of the cold water handle. Now it's started forming around the hot water handle as well.

I have no idea what is causing this. There is no leak evident (but the pipes are all under the sink anyway, right?). Could the cartridge in the handle be leaking and sending a small amount of water up to the handle, which then gathers under the handle and forms rust?

You'll notice there's no such rust under the spigot, which is where I might expect moisture to gather. The bath is well vented with both a fan and a window, not to mention an HVAC vent.

I am open to any ideas. Thanks for your help.
Did you find the brand and model of this widespread faucet. I have the same model and need help to find this info because the tags and usual identifications are missing!

oldVermonter

Reaction score
Something to consider…if the problem is only cosmetic, get a bottle of CLR (or other rust remover), and just clean it up every month or so. A real fix would certainly be better, but CLR might be a lot less work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks