rust spots on dishes-need whole house filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Zeak

Reaction score
Any new ideas from anyone based on the pic of the white bowl? At this point I have conlifcting opinions as to a cause and whether a water test is even worth it. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the spot on the bowl. I can't get it off just by scraping it with my finger and have to wipe or soak it with CLR. I checked dishwasher racks and they look intact. View attachment 24635

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since you ruled out the dish racks and since the shower, toilet bowls and tanks show no signs of rust, the only remaining suspect is the piping and/or the HWT.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since the red/brown stain on the bowl is so apparent as a localized stain, this appears to be a result of contact with a metal item.

Although the d-w racks are a usual suspect, look also at other items which may have been placed in the dishwasher including carving knives, flippers, serving spoons, tongs, can openers, vegetable peelers, iron pots, metal sieves, scissors and enameled (chipped) cookware as these items may have metal components which may not be impervious to corrosion.

You could also inspect any filter screens in the bottom of the dishwasher in case any metal components have become trapped there as they maybe being corroded by the strong alkalinity of the dish washer detergent.

You didn't indicate if you utilize a water softener but if you do, substantially reduce the amount of d-w detergent used (ie: 1/4 to 1/2 the usual amount) as the combination of soft water and strong detergent will pit ceramic, glass, plastic and metal finishes.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Since the red/brown stain on the bowl is so apparent as a localized stain, this appears to be a result of contact with a metal item.
I agree. Is there any source of iron filings or other small particles you can think of? The remains of an old SOS pad? These look exactly like spots I've seen where almost-microscopic iron particles were left behind on the surface of a bowl or other container, drywall knife, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks