Rust/Sediment from Tub Faucet Only

Users who are viewing this thread

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have seen similar questions through the forum but as I am not a plumbing expert I thought I would try to ask it again to see what people thought.

I had a home remodel done, which included complete bathroom remodels. This was completed just this month. We didn't replace all house piping but my contractor said he did replace some galvanized with copper piping.

Anyways, given the circumstances I suspect this is a "localized" issue around the new installation. That said, my contractor says that he is not responsible because he didn't do a full re-pipe. Please note:

1) When I purchased the home and used the faucet prior to remodel, I don't recall seeing any rusty water from any faucets.
2) The old spa/jacuzzi style tub was torn out and we installed the free-standing tub in the photo below. The tub faucet used to be on the left-side wall, but now it is on the front-facing wall as you can see in the photo. So the contractor did install at least some new plumbing for the tub faucet.
3) Anytime I turn on the faucet, I get rusty water immediately, which then immediately clears. If I don't turn it on for just 24 hours, I immediately get dark rusty water and black charcoal-type sediment, which then immediately clears.
4) From the shower next to the tub, I never get any rusty water (nor from any other faucet in the house)
5) Both the shower (T17264) and tub (Delta T14164) faucets are Delta T-Series fixtures, and have the same Delta Rough-In Valve (Delta https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/r10000-unws)

Does anyone know what the issue could be? I have read it may be a cast iron nipple. How can the contractor check/remediate this issue? Can this be done without tearing out the tile wainscot?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the issue could be? I have read it may be a cast iron nipple.
It could be a galvanized nipple. That would be easy to detect and replace probably. I would do that. There is another nipple out of the valve, and there is an elbow. Those would require back access to change, but the front nipple sould be easy enough to replace with brass. That will at least help.

https://media.deltafaucet.com/MandI/68881 Rev L.pdf

Note the dimension in picture C-4. That would tell you if the current nipple is the ideal length, or if you could center the dimension midway between the limits by ordering a slightly longer or shorter nipple when you get your 1/2 inch NPT brass nipple.

What is on the other side of the wall?

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
They may have installed the tub spout using a galvanized nipple.
A little rust, and then none. Brass doesn't do that.

Thanks Terry! Would I be able to check/replace it by just removing the tub spout fixture? Or does that go further down behind the wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Spinning off the spout would expose what you have from the wall. It's either copper or steel to the adapter.
It could be that there are two nipples and a 90. If that's the case, I would just leave it. It will last for years, and it's only that first little bit of rust when it's first turned on. There are thousands, maybe millions done that way out there working.

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
It could be a galvanized nipple. That would be easy to detect and replace probably. I would do that. There is another nipple out of the valve, and there is an elbow. Those would require back access to change, but the front nipple sould be easy enough to replace with brass. That will at least help.

https://media.deltafaucet.com/MandI/68881 Rev L.pdf

Note the dimension in picture C-4. That would tell you if the current nipple is the ideal length, or if you could center the dimension midway between the limits by ordering a slightly longer or shorter nipple when you get your 1/2 inch NPT brass nipple.

What is on the other side of the wall?

Thanks Terri and Reach4. I removed the spout and the faucet cover. There is definitely a galvanized nipple going into the spout (see picture), and it is rusting a lot. I will have the contractor replace that.

It is hard to tell what the pipes around the valve are, but I don't think the one pointing downward is galvanized. I held a magnet to it and it does not stick. It does stick to the nipple.

The other side of the wall is the outside stucco so unfortunately not much more accessible than the side with the tile.

Attachments

• IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 968

Reach4

Reaction score
It is hard to tell what the pipes around the valve are, but I don't think the one pointing downward is galvanized. I held a magnet to it and it does not stick. It does stick to the nipple.
I think that is copper. Ideally, there would be 1/2" CxF 90° Drop Ear Elbow that the nipple screws into.
nl735i-08-3.jpg
But it could be just an elbow.
nl7-3-08-1.jpg
I don't know what the odds are. I suspect the plain elbow is more likely.

How much of the galvanized nipple sticks out of the wall?

So the contractor's plumber will unscrew that nipple, using an internal pipe wrench if he can't get a good grip on the outside. Ideally, the nipple will break free, and he will screw in a brass nipple. That would be a very short time if he brought the right nipple.

The bad outcome would that something breaks in the wall, and he has to open the wall to fix it. In that case, the plumber will do the pipe repair. Then the contractor will bring in the tile person to make the wall repairs.

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
I think that is copper. Ideally, there would be 1/2" CxF 90° Drop Ear Elbow that the nipple screws into.
nl735i-08-3.jpg
But it could be just an elbow.
nl7-3-08-1.jpg
I don't know what the odds are. I suspect the plain elbow is more likely.

How much of the galvanized nipple sticks out of the wall?

So the contractor's plumber will unscrew that nipple, using an internal pipe wrench if he can't get a good grip on the outside. Ideally, the nipple will break free, and he will screw in a brass nipple. That would be a very short time if he brought the right nipple.

The bad outcome would that something breaks in the wall, and he has to open the wall to fix it. In that case, the plumber will do the pipe repair. Then the contractor will bring in the tile person to make the wall repairs.
Great. I will keep this in mind. I have about 3/8 of an inch sticking out (not much because the tile wainscot is kind of thick). Hopefully we can just swap out the nipple. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Often the plumber will put in a galvanized nipple initially, expecting that it will get replaced with an optimally sized brass nipple after the finished wall is up, so the correct length will then be knowable. However in that case, I would think the plumber would use a longer nipple for that temporary use.

I hope it is easy to change out. 3/8 is short to grab with a pipe wrench, so this will be a good job for an internal pipe wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks