Rust in Hydropneumatic Pressure Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

cpez

Reaction score
I own a small home in northern Mexico. The pressure for the water system is regulated by a small hydropneumatic tank with an internal diaphragm. The tank sits outside in our back yard and is no bigger than a large cooler you would take to a sporting event :)

The tank was recently repaired due to a leak. While in use, the diaphragm was punctured by a rough/sharp internal piece. The water released into the tank from the diaphragm caused some rusting inside the tank and even rusted through some kind of metal end cap, resulting in a small pressurized leak. This is how we noticed the problem - a tiny hole with water spraying out the side into our dusty back yard!

The 1.5 year old unit is under a 3 year warranty so we had a repair man come out and replace the diaphragm, sand down the rough/sharp internal piece that caused the diaphragm tear, and replace the compromised metal end cap. He also sanded the inside of the tank to get rid of most of the rust but did not recommend we replace the tank at this time since it's operational and still under warranty.

Two questions for the forum:
1) What is the effect of rust on this closed system? Will we see a decrease in the life of the unit because of it? Should we replace the tank now knowing it's rusted (although not badly) while we're still covered by the 1.5 years left on the warranty? (Note that we will have tenants at this property within the next month and would rather the system not fail when we're back in the US!)

2) The tank sits in open air (arid, high dessert climate, dusty, high temperatures) in our back yard close to the back wall of the house. Most folks we've spoken with in Mexico recommend installing a small "roof" to cover the unit, leaving it open on the sides. Should we consider a more protective and enclosed covering in order to better preserve the unit from wind/dust/rain (although it only rains about 4 times a year)? Or would an totally enclosed structure get too hot in the strong afternoon sun?

Gracias for your thoughts/advice!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I cannot imagine anyone trying to repair a bladder tank like that, especially when a new one would only cost $100 or so.

Any sanding or welding to a tank like that is not a good idea. They are coated on the inside to prevent “rust”. Now all your coating is gone. The bladder will also wear on the rough spots from the welding. And it is not safe.

Warranty means warranty, not a patch job. I would get a new tank. A little shed would help, but the worst problem is from the water on the inside.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd love to see some guy replace the diaphram and then weld a tank back together successfully.

cpez

Reaction score
Valveman - Thank you so much for your response! I joined this forum specifically to get your advise. You can imagine that in Mexico folks tend to default to patch jobs so I'm in the habit of collecting hard evidence to convince even my Mexican husband to think long term!!! Sometimes is cultural and sometimes it's $ related. Either way, your help is greatly appreciated!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sometimes is cultural and sometimes it's $ related. Either way, your help is greatly appreciated!

Cultural would be not to have running water.

So it is working.

Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks