Rust at AC line connection to coil

Users who are viewing this thread

NCRealtor

Reaction score
Quick question..... my clients just had an inspection done on a property.

The inspector said there was "rusting at the AC line connection to the coil."

what will happen if this is left alone? Photo coming shortly.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rust

If he means the electrical connection to the contactor, then probably nothing. If he means the air conditioning tubing connection to the condenser or evaporator coil, then you will eventually have a failure and the refrigerant will leak out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I thought all of the refrigerant connections to the coil were copper...that won't rust, although it could corrode.

Nubbin

Reaction score
E Coils

Evaporator coils are made of soft metals that conduct heat well. Aluminum, Copper need steel plates to hold it all in place. Most often the steel will rust first and then corrode the copper later. It could be several years before it leaks refrigerant, or yesterday :eek:
If the rust is actually caused buy an older style drain pan, ... does Noah ring a bell?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks