Rural Water Grant?

Users who are viewing this thread

donbro12

IT System Admin
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get information on Rural Water (city water) grant programs? We have just purchased a house that has major well problems, and very hard water. The regional rural water company has water about a mile away that i would like to get hooked up to. By the way I am in Arkansas. I was told by the regional water company, that I would be responsible for the cost of running the line. The water company said they would have to go out and measure the distance before giving me a price. Does anyone know a ball bark feature of the cost per foot for running a line like this? I know that every water company is different, but I just wanted an idea of what to expect.

Thanks,

Donny

JD-Jeff

Reaction score
The county water system in my community charges $17.50 ft. Be prepared for sticker shock.

macbd1

Reaction score
Don said privately:
I saw a post by you, talking about a rural water grant program. Can you tell me where i can get info on this? I started a thread asking about this, but no one has responded yet. Here is the thread if you would like to read more about my problem.

Don,
I know nothing about initiating a request for rural water. However, within areas of Central and Southern Illinois I have seen evidence of rural water developments. The grant is via US Dept of Agriculture. Requests are not made by individuals but by a group of interested participants headed by a developing committee. Paricipants within the requesting area pay upfront money to commit to the program, I believe ours was something like $400 four years ago. With hundreds (thousands?) participating, this starts the engineering and materials purchasing phase toward a bidding process to let a construction contract -- this requires at least a year and may involve a water tower. The construction phase requires another year or so. We paid another $100 for hookup for a total of $500 plus an additional amount to run piping from the meter to the house, the amount depending on distance and whether the user or a contractor does the work. Final hookup must be by certified plumber. Those who wish to hookup later pay something like $2000+/- total. A local volunteer committee manages the rural water program, ours is associated with a village water company in a nearby small town. The water actually originates from an aquifer about 40 miles away that feeds a large town/city, and subsequently to the nearby small town. A typical monthly water rate is something like $40 for two people, I don't have the actual rates at hand.

Hope this helps, that's all I have.
Mac

macbd1

Reaction score
Bob, from our discussion of 'Pump won't start except manually' during May, 2007:

"Recall that we got 'city water' piped to our rural area last year, the water is great being only somewhat softened (just right for us) and its taste is great with absolutely no chlorine or chemical flavor or odor. What we used to pay for pump-motor electricity, water softener salt, filters, chemicals and maintenance at least equals what we now spend monthly for water ($38 +/-) and the quality of our old well-water was terrible at times."

Some local conditions simply preclude having decent well water. One is having oil wells in close proximity when their dropline for pumping *brine-water* into the ground (for elevating the oil) may spring a leak anywhere between 10' to 1000' below TOG that can migrate to water deposits and wells. Chemical runoff from farmland (and down alongside a pump casing or via a stratified rock formation) is another extreme case, or from any other source (some natural) that may affect water flavor.

Also, paying for a decent deep well is beyond the means of some rural folks and the health of young children suffer most as a result. However, people with incomes below a certain amount (don't recall how much) can receive financial aid from the US Dept of Ag as part of the rural water programs. I'm not a fan of big government throwing tax-payer money at problems (in fact, I'm usually dead set against this) but the US D of Ag rural water programs seem worthwhile -- maybe because I am personally a basic recipient...??

Regards,
Mac

Speedbump

Reaction score
Where is the EPA when you need them. I guess they turn their heads when the money overshadows the risks.

I'm with you on the Big Brother thing, it's already out of hand.

Happy Turkey Day!

bob...

macbd1

Reaction score
Glad we agree on the big government thang, and I'm not sure the bureaucratic EPA could even help with many local water well contamination issues -- what may occur so far underground, such as brine-water pipe leaks, is difficult to find, let alone prevent or fix. I suspect pressure-drop is about the only way for finding such a leak, but how accurate are the gauges that are only checked infrequently anyway for pump control? Problems like this seem to be a factor of modern technological advances that are too often beyond absolute control regardless of how much tax-payer money is spent. I guess we just be thankful for our blessings and hope our Tom Turkey and oyster dressing are ok. Bob, I hope you you enjoy your Thanksgiving too along with everyone else.
--Mac

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks