Running wire through header

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by flyhop, Oct 31, 2007.

1. flyhop

flyhop New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Wife wants a light installed above the pass-through/breakfast bar. This pass-through (PT) is a 4x6 rectangular hole cut through the wall separating the kitchen and our living room. It's a load-bearing wall, so a header was installed (2 2x10s sandwiching 1/2 plywood). Header sits on a jack stud at each end which is adjacent to a sole to top plate stud ("king stud"?).

Anyway, the plan is for 3-way wiring to be run to this light. The supply line will have to come UP in a narrow chase created by the king/jack studs holding up this header and king/jack studs 5 inches away holding up a doorway header. All of this is interior framing. I was planning on drilling a 3/4' hole through the very top of the jack stud so that the wiring would come out at the bottom of and would be stapled to the header. A jamb will provide a chase for this wiring, and all will be encased in trim. At least, that's the plan.

Is there code that says I can't drill a hole through the king and jack studs for wiring? Or can you come down from the top of and go through a header (i.e. drill 3/4" through center of header)? Inspectors are due out tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Jun 14, 2007
    North Carolina
    This is a building code question not an electrical code question.

personally I would say no
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mchiarit

mchiarit New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Inspection done?

I am curious. Did you drill the 3/4 hole? I suspect it was okay but would like to know for my own future reference.
  5. arfeller

arfeller New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Port Angeles, WA
    Would she be satisfied with one of those stick up battery powered LCD closet lights? :D
  6. construct30

construct30 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    NorthWest PA
    Maybe a little late, but code requires that any wire that is not 1 3/8" from the edge of a framing member has to be protected by metal, ie a plate or metal conduit. No, you cannot run a wire in the "chase" made by the trim.