running wire in anticipation of future update

Users who are viewing this thread

rioguia

Reaction score
I plan to update the wiring in the top floor of my 1940's era house in the future. I have the walls open in the floor below and can easily run the wire for that purpose. 1. Can I just secure the wire to a floor joist near the main panel without installing it inside the main panel?
2. If yes to question number one, do I have to terminate the other end of the wire in a switch or juction box or can I just note it's position and leave it in the ceiling?

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
1. Can I just secure the wire to a floor joist near the main panel without installing it inside the main panel?
Yes
2. If yes to question number one, do I have to terminate the other end of the wire in a switch or juction box or can I just note it's position and leave it in the ceiling?
No need for a j-box until you power up the wire.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With reference to #2, which way will be easier to access the wire in the future? I would think an accessible box would be preferable

Last edited:

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
I plan to update the wiring in the top floor of my 1940's era house in the future. I have the walls open in the floor below and can easily run the wire for that purpose. 1. Can I just secure the wire to a floor joist near the main panel without installing it inside the main panel?
You do what you have planned, and leave the tails long at both ends so they will reach the first box on either end, OR, install a large emt or flex chase you can access later.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
With reference to #2, which way will be easier to access the wire in the future? I would think an accessible box would be preferable

I think that would be the best. Or very clearly mark it, at the least.

If a inspector finds a piece of wire that is just laying, he will want to know where it terminates.

"Just laying in the attic" is not the Ideal answer that the Inspector would like to hear.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Like or not he has no code section to reject the installation.

True that.

It is amazing how a Insurance inspector will find a way to avoid payout.

They sure don't have a problem taking your Insurance payments, no questions asked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks