running wire in anticipation of future update

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by rioguia, Nov 26, 2012.

1. rioguia

rioguia New Member

I plan to update the wiring in the top floor of my 1940's era house in the future. I have the walls open in the floor below and can easily run the wire for that purpose. 1. Can I just secure the wire to a floor joist near the main panel without installing it inside the main panel?
    2. If yes to question number one, do I have to terminate the other end of the wire in a switch or juction box or can I just note it's position and leave it in the ceiling?
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

Yes
    No need for a j-box until you power up the wire.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

With reference to #2, which way will be easier to access the wire in the future? I would think an accessible box would be preferable
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

You do what you have planned, and leave the tails long at both ends so they will reach the first box on either end, OR, install a large emt or flex chase you can access later.
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I think that would be the best. Or very clearly mark it, at the least.

If a inspector finds a piece of wire that is just laying, he will want to know where it terminates.

"Just laying in the attic" is not the Ideal answer that the Inspector would like to hear.
  6. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

Like or not he has no code section to reject the installation.
  7. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

True that.

It is amazing how a Insurance inspector will find a way to avoid payout.

They sure don't have a problem taking your Insurance payments, no questions asked.