Running Power/Conduit to Pump House

Users who are viewing this thread

Wowndeye

Reaction score
So I'm kind of in a pinch here because I have an excavator showing up this week to do some backfill and trench for power/water.

I wasn't expecting him so soon and was waiting to hear from an electrician at our site about running conduit for power but it may not happen.

I'm needing to run 220 out to the pump house for the pump/pressure tank, and 120 as well for an interior light, heat lamp for winter, exterior light, a 120 receptacle.

What kind of power wire do I need to run out to the pump house and what will it terminate into? A small breaker box?

I was going to use schedule 40 grey pvc to run the line(s) in.

Thanks!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
How long is the run?
What size pump?
You need to have a breaker box in your pump house.

Wowndeye

Reaction score
From the pumphouse to where the breaker box in the house will be is about 150 feet.

The pump is a Grundfos 1hp, 220v about 90 feet down to the water.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Run 1" pvc conduit, and get it inspected by L&I. Your electrician will need to run 4 wires in the conduit, all#10's. 2 power conductors, 1 ground wire, 1 neutral wire. You will also need two ground rods with grounding wire at the pump house. Either you or your electrician can obtain the permit from L&I. If your excavator backfills the ditch with the conduit before it is inspected, the electrical inspector MAY require you to dig it back up.

You will probably end up with a 60 amp sub panel in the pump house. You need a breaker for the pump. You have to have a 120 volt outlet, an interior light and an exterior light, all on breakers from the sub panel. Should also have a heat source. I normally install a 30" Cadet baseboard heater with a thermostat.

Wowndeye

Reaction score
Right on, thank you Boyce!

All wires can run in the one conduit?

And the heater is probably a better option than the heat light. The pumphouse is 12x8 feet and 8 feet tall so I'll do that for sure. It's going to hold other items in it as well.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes all wires in one 1" pvc conduit. I hsrdwire that heater. It casts less than $50 at the big box stores with the thermostat. You can get it in 120v or 240v. Most pump houses that I go in that don't have a permanent heater, have 3-4 broken portable heaters or heat lamps laying around.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't have my code book in front of me this morning. I told you wrong on wire size/ breaker size.

First off, your grundfos 1 hp 230v pump motor will will pull 9.8 full load amps. It will need a 25 amp circuit breaker. I assume your installer will be using #12 wire, it's good for up to 400 ft.

I pull THHN copper individual wires in conduit. #10 is good for up to 35 amps. #8 is allowable up to 50 amps, and #6 can handle 65 amps. The max number of THHN conductors in 1" sch40 pvc conduit is 15 #10's, 9 #8's, 6 #6's, or 4 #4 conductors.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are putting more than one circuit into a detatched outbuilding, the NEC requires the outbuilding to have it's own subpanel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks