running hot tub from alternate energy

Users who are viewing this thread

twrh111

Reaction score
hello, newbie here, i do have an understanding of electricity both ac/dc. i have a 220v 4 wire hot tub wired to specs that i would like to run off a battery bank. my question is, can a hot tub be wired to work on 110v. i have a 10 battery bank wired as a 12v system being recharged with wind power. each battery has a minimum 500 cranking amps. so, rewire the tub or convert and step up my power to 220v. thx, terry

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Let's say the hot tub uses 30 amps @ 240. That is about 7.5KW. It would need 60 amps at 120, meaning bigger wires. But KV is KV.
At 12 volts, the battery would need to supply 600 amps.

The CCA rating of a battery is not meaningful here...that is a short term spec for the starter of a vehicle. The steady state draw is much less. You need to know the total KWH rating to know how long it would power the tub

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
hello, newbie here, i do have an understanding of electricity both ac/dc.
This question would beg to differ with this statement

my question is, can a hot tub be wired to work on 110v.
No
i have a 10 battery bank wired as a 12v system being recharged with wind power. each battery has a minimum 500 cranking amps. so, rewire the tub or convert and step up my power to 220v. thx, terry
No matter if you have an inverter or not the power or wattage comsumed will be the same and I don't think you hardly have enough

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks