Running a gas line for gas range....

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Hi,

Not a perfect fit for the water heater forum, but pretty close...

We are running a gas line from lower level utility room to a gas range the in the Kitchen. Run is about 6 feet and goes thru the floor. 1/2" line should be adequate.

Questions:
1. Do I need a building permit for this work? I am planning on hiring a plumber, since I have no experience running gas lines.
2. Is this a good application for a flex line? The line in the utility room will run next to the ceiling. The valve in the kitchen will be pinned to the wall.

Thanks,

Rog

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a good use of CSST gas piping.
You will need to have the BTU rating of the range for the plumber. Those things came in all sizes these days.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even when the gas range connection is 1/2", the supply line to it should be 3/4". "legally", a permit is required, but the plumber will decide whether the job warrants the extra cost and hassle of one. CSST tubing has to be protected from damage, so running it exposed on the surface of the wall might not be a good idea.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my city, an inspector has to approve all new gas connections, and the inspection to include gas pressure test that takes 2 days to perform.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
When did they start allowing flex to be run between floors ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CSST isn't the same thing as a typical supply line to an appliance.

DonL

Reaction score
CSST isn't the same thing as a typical supply line to an appliance.

They (HOAs) have been trying to ban it.

To Many House Explosions have been blamed on it. So they say.

Not sure what brand it was.

It may work fine, for awhile.

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks again for the comments.

Per the City of Boulder: Flex line thru the floor is OK. I got a permit this AM. City inspection is OK with conducting a sniffer and pressure test after plumber has installed the line and sniff tested the install.

Rog

DonL

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks again for the comments.

Per the City of Boulder: Flex line thru the floor is OK. I got a permit this AM. City inspection is OK with conducting a sniffer and pressure test after plumber has installed the line and sniff tested the install.

Rog

Cool Beans.

Enjoy.

DonL

Reaction score
If your Plumber uses CSST, nothing wrong with it for your application, just make sure he uses either Gastite Flashshield or Tracpipe Counterstrike. Do not allow a yellow CSST to be installed.

The Yellow was what made the news, for needing to be banned. It is still being used by the unknowing.

All of the Indoor stuff is Iron here.

Gas is nothing to play with, Unless you have complete control over it.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Bob.

I only light Farts when wearing pants. I learned the hard way.

Gas is nothing to play with.
weather is good now, so w've been busy working outside digging holes and planting things. I never tried what you learned the hard way. I've seen others do it and I think its gross, unless of course it is a thermodynamic demo performed by an attractive lady. (I have that video)

DonL

Reaction score
weather is good now, so w've been busy working outside digging holes and planting things. I never tried what you learned the hard way. I've seen others do it and I think its gross, unless of course it is a thermodynamic demo performed by an attractive lady. (I have that video)

You should try it sometime.

Lighting it burns the stink out.

Yes, I am not right. May need some meds.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You should try it sometime.

Lighting it burns the stink out.

Yes, I am not right. May need some meds.
You're OK Don; that's what happens to us after devoting our entire lives to technology its toys. We find things to amuse ourselves.

DonL

Reaction score
What is the problem with the yellow jacket CSSP?

From what I seen on the news is that some homes that had it, went Kaboom.

You may be able to Google it.

There was not much left of the homes, but it was blamed on leaking gas lines that were in the attic. Mice may have chewed thru it ? Or it was rubbing against the rafters.

Is that what you installed ?

It may be OK, but it did make Dateline news. I do not believe what is on TV anymore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks