Rule for tying in a drain after a water closet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Is there a rule for how close I can tie in a 2" horizontal drain after a water closet?

The water closet is 23" from a stack vent that will be a future waste stack and the 2" is going between the water closet and stack.

Thank you

Tbbarch

Reaction score
As long as the 2" drain is properly vented, and the connection is made properly, you should be fine.

Properly?
The only proper I am aware of is water flows down hill, pipe joints point in the direction of flow and pipe fittings don't leak.
Is there something else I need to be aware of?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
don't go pedantic on us. There are many ways, DIYers have managed to connect things "improperly" and they have nothing to do with the physical laws of fluids.

Reach4

Reaction score
Trap from shower goes to a 2 inch horizontal up to 6o inches (slopes down 1/4 inch/ft) trap arm until it hits a vent.
Vent goes vertically (defined as 45 degrees or more) until it is high enough 42 inches above the floor unless the vent is a permitted wet vent, where the vent must continue vertically far enough above the flood level of that fixture.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/max-trap-arm-length-for-a-shower-drain-2.4013/

There will be some limitations on what kind of fitting can join the sewage pipe to the vent.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/multilevel-toilet-dwv-design.61777/#post-457649

And there is more to it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Properly?
The only proper I am aware of is water flows down hill, pipe joints point in the direction of flow and pipe fittings don't leak.
Is there something else I need to be aware of?

Venting.
If you don't vent the shower, the trap can siphon. If that happens, you won't be liking it.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
pedantics aside

Attachments

• P9090724.JPG
    P9090724.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 179

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Unless the 2" line is vented upstream (outside of the photo), it is not correct.

The 2" line is vented. It services a tub and lavatory. The vent is 1 1/2" at the top of the lav vertical line in the wall.

I was under the impression though that if the slope of the 2" was correct and was within the distance limitations it could serve as a wet vent.

What code applies to the 2" needing to be vented based on the photo?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You are correct in that it could serve as a wet vent if it is done correctly. We cannot see what is not in the picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks