Rubber Strainer Washer under Fibreglass Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Yukoner777

Reaction score
Hi there
I am installing a replacement waste/overflow assembly onto my tub. It's one that is supplied specifically for this tub. It comes with what they call a plastic putty ring (although it looks and feels like dense foam to me) for under the strainer, which they say in the instructions, "may not be sufficient for some tub designs. Instead, use a caulking compound." Since reading some previous posts I've realized that this seal isn't that critical anyway - just to keep water in the tub from leaking out of the tub and down the drain. So I'm planning to use this supplied ring.

The one I'm concerned about is the ribbed rubber seal that fits against the underside of the tub to actually ensure the drain is watertight. The instructions and the manufacturer's video do not show or suggest any kind of sealant be used on the rubber seal. I can see this seal being very effective on a smooth surface, but I'm using it against the underside of a fibreglass tub. This area is smooth for the first quarter inch around the opening, but beyond that it's just relatively rough fibreglass.

Can I depend on this ribbed rubber seal to do it's job by simply tightening the waste bolt (instructions say "hand tight + 1/4 turn)? Or should I be using some kind of product to enhance it's sealing effectiveness on this type of surface?

For the record, it's #6342C Waste/Overflow (w/cable drive) from OS&B. The tub is an older Acri-Tec model, Valhalla.

Thanks
Ross

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always install the rubber washer between the tub and drain clean. I don't put anything on it.

I may use a supplied foam washer or stainless putty on the strainer.

What I do like to do, is assemble the top and bottom of the waste and overflow to the tub first.
I cut and glue pipe and install the tee.
This makes sure that those fittings align to the tub. If you glue up the drain first, it may be off just enough that it won't seal without messing with it.

If needed, I remove and and reinstall after the tub install depending on my method.
Sometimes I don't have access from below, so the drain may be installed to the p-trap and then the tub dropped over it.
If I have access from below, the p-trap would go on last.
My stuff never leaks. :)

accord_wild_03.jpg

Last edited:

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
There you have it. Different strokes for different folks. It's critical that the shoe mates perfectly on the tub drain, ensuring that the rubber washer compresses evenly. On the overflow, if it doesn't mate to my satisfaction, I will substitute a tank to bowl spongy washer, usually a thin one. And for me, a thin layer if clear silicone to boot. Hey, my stuff never leaks either! One advantage to Terry's method is, over tightening with silicone on the rubber can cause it to wash out, because its slippery, so beware. When we find something that works we stick with it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks