RPBA install req's

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
I am installing a Watts 2" RPBA. I have it installed at 6'4". I know max height is 60" unless a 'permanent platform' is built. My question is what is the definition/purpose of a 'permanent platform'?
I have heard two differing opinions. One is that a platform is req'd solely for the testing apparatus to rest on while testing. The second is that the platform is an actual platform to stand on. Can anyone clarify this for me? I am in Vancouver, but from what I understand the AWWA and BCWWA share the same cross connection control manual...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER heard of a "maximum height" for the installation, ( I am also not sure WHY that dimension should be 60"), nor a requirement for a platform. The only thing I have heard is that it must have an air gap "funnel" to catch the discharge if it is overhead, and should not be less than 12" above the ground.

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
Well technically there is no 'maximum' height, but like I said, once it's over 60" a platform must be constructed. And it's 60" for accessibility/serviceability reasons. And all rp's should have drainage in place to catch discharge. You don't want water dumping all over the ground. While some are in places where that might not matter, ie mechanical rooms, many are in places like commercial kitchens.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; once it's over 60" a platform must be constructed.

I think it would be difficult to construct a "platform" for a bfp if it is located somewhere other than next to an existing wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks