Rough Opening for Door

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by nelsonba, Nov 16, 2007.

1. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

I'm planning to use some doors for my remodel project that are not pre-hung. (They were in my storage space and match the rest of the doors in the house). What would be the proper size rough opening for the framing? I assume I need enough space for the door jambs and some room for shimming. What would be the standard door jamb thickness? How much room do I need for shimming?

Thanks
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Typically you would add 2" in width and height, but you should have the actual frame on hand, or specs for it, to be sure.

A typical 36 X 80 door would be roughed at 38 X 82
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Usually 3/4", and with the inch Jimbo mentioned allowed for them.

The 1" allowance all-around should be more than enough unless the "rough framing" is a bit too "rough" and way-out-of-square.

Use tapered shims in pairs with one coming in from each side so the net result is flat unless the lumber around your opening is twisted. Also, be sure to shim directly behind the hinges, if necessary, and to screw at least the top hinge all the way into the framing to keep the door edges plumb/parallel with the jamb.
  4. AZ Contractor

AZ Contractor In the Trades

Where do you get 1"?
  5. leejosepho

What number or numbers do you use?
  6. AZ Contractor

Jimbo is correct. 36 inch door gets a 38" RO.

35 3/4" door
    + 3/4" jamb
    + 3/4" jamb
    +3/16" gap on strike and hinge side.
    =37 5/8"

the 38" RO gives you 3/8" of play.

where do you get 1"?
  7. leejosepho

38" - 36" = 2" (1" all-around)

What part are you missing?
  8. Hube

Hube New Member

answer; it could be part of his brain that is missing:p
  9. leejosepho

Oh, maybe it is something as simple as "all-around" being mistaken for "overall", eh?!

Overall, we are talking about allowing an inch all-around ... yet I did recently frame a wall and install a 4'x6' window in my new workshop with only 1/4" clearance overall!
  10. AZ Contractor

When you mentioned 1" all around and rough framing way out of square in the same breath it sounded like you were talking about shim space.
  11. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

As opposed to the 3/8ths AZContractor just explained...?
  12. leejosepho

Ah, okay. I did not speak clearly while meaning to say 1" all-around the actual size of the door should leave enough room for jamb, shims and squaring, overall.

No, openings for windows are figured differently, but yes, 3/8" could have been okay.