Rough in dimensions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Not a plumber

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom...I have a few questions about rough-in heights.

I would like to know:

- the heights and spacing for sink h/c supply lines and for the drain...not sure exactly what the sink will be (pedistal, base cabinet or other), but I think a pedistal would have the tightest dimensions - so that's what I will go with.

- the height and spacing for the shower h/c supply lines. The existing tub will remain (probably have it reglazed), when the lower bthrm is remodeled, I will change out trap to pvc, unless it is copper (like the venting).

- the height for the toilet supply line. I had read somewhere me that the distance off wall for the toilet flange is 12"...but is that after finish, after sheetrock or off stud.

Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I can help on the toilet! The 12" is from the finished wall to the center (bolt holes) of the toilet flange. The offset for the toilet water supply does have a standard, but is dependent on whether you have a standard toilet! FOr example, I've installed several Toto models (highly recommended) that require the water to be further from teh center line than "normal" because of the shape of the fully faired base.

As to the other stuff, the supply lines for say a sink should account for the fixture that you are going to use - say if the faucet has attached lines, you don't want to have to try to extend then, and you don't want them looping all around. Also, you still want to be able to get to them, so you don't want them too high up, either. SO, while "normal" has its place (and the toilet flange is one that is pretty much truely standard for the vast majority of items), it sometimes depends on the actual stuff selected.

For a shower valve, if the owner was 6'6" tall, you'd want the shower head higher than normal (or adjustable), and you may want the valve higher, too. For a tub/shower combo, if you wanted to adjust the thing while sitting in the tub, you wouldn't want it too high. The tub filler needs to be a specified height above the rim of the tub, but other than that, some like a waterfall, even ceiling mounted!

One of the pros can probably give you some "standard" values, but I've found there is a lot of lattitude, and standard may not work with the specific stuff you select to install.

dwpecksr

Reaction score
Website
www.dalestrenchless.com
rough-in measurements

you can go to your public library and get a beginners book on plumbing dimentions. also you may find it on the web. If in doubt buy all your fictures and install as per manufactures recomendations. :) :)

Not a plumber

Reaction score
Dale's Plumbing Service said:
you can go to your public library and get a beginners book on plumbing dimentions. also you may find it on the web.

LMAO...what a dopey answer.
I came here (the web) to avoid going there(the library).

I thought the title of this forum was " Where homeowners get advice on how to plumb."...not "...go find it yourself..".

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dimensions

Sometimes our best help is to tell you where to find things for yourself. But since you want the "Cliff Notes" version, if you are even considering a pedestal, then you have to decide on it first. If the pedestal has the entire backside cut out then the drain height is not important, but some have a formed recess for the trap and for those the height is very critical and you must have the manufacturer's drawing to determine the correct height. Too high and you will not be able to make the connection. Too low and the trap will not fit into the pedestal. For everything else, except the distance of the toilet opening from the backwall, (usually 12" from the finished surface), and the distance of the toilet opening from either side, (15" minimum), it is more or less a personal preference determined by the statures of the users.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks