Rough Cost Estimate: Basement Wet Bar and Bathroom Work

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bucky, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bucky

bucky New Member

Gutted my basement (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and now in the process of building it out. Definitely building a bar, but not sure if I'll recoup enough money on adding a sink to make it worth while. Upstairs bathroom is overhead so supply lines (galvanized) are right there along with the drain line. Hard to say what the easiest route would be to tie in the venting. I'm told ventless pumps don't pass around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul) so busting up the floor seems to be the only option to drain the sink.

Picture 001.jpg

Across the way is this lovely unvented bathroom. (I've got a one story and there's a closet above so running a new vent up through the roof would be relatively easy). The goal would be to make it a legal bathroom or in other words start over from scratch. I can do the drywall and carpentry and really just need the plumbing expertise to tie everything together so it is code compliant.

Picture 004.jpg Picture 007.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Bucky, I think you will find that the pros on this forum will very reluctant to even venture a rough guess. Local labor costs and unforeseen difficulties and problems make this virtually impossible. It's somewhat like saying my car has a noise in the engine, what will it cost to fix it. Best bet is to get local contractors to give estimates.
  3. bucky

bucky New Member

I've got the PM at a local company drawing up an estimate. I know there's variations nationally that would result in an apples to oranges comparison, but figured someone on here has probably done similar projects and could offer a ballpark, +/- a few thousands dollars. It's not like I'm going to take what someone says on here back to the PM. Mostly just concerned about the wet bar at this juncture.
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I'll ball park it at 11 grand give or take
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; really just need the plumbing expertise to tie everything together so it is code compliant.

The place to get that is from a LOCAL plumber, NOT a "PM" at a lumber yard.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

How about the guy in the orange or blue smock ?
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

But, don't call the guy that installed the slanted basin with the S trap.
  8. hj

quote; don't call the guy that installed the slanted basin with the S trap

Picky, picky. He did tell the homeowner it was NOT vented, and he did use a drainage 90, instead of a galvanized one.
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

So, what's a PM? Prime Minister? Product Manager? Personal Masseuse?
  10. hj

Maybe Project Manager and he is taking time off from constructing a half mile high building to figure this out.