Rough basement drain/laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

grahamW

Reaction score
I've finished excavating and have laid out my basement drain and laundry (dry-fit) and I was wondering if anyone has any comments. It is more-or-less what I sketched out in a different thread, but I needed to use a long reach 90 and a 22.5 fitting into a tighter bend than I expected due to the footing location. Both the 2" laundry drain and the 2" vent are inclined at 45 towards the foundation wall so they will feed into a framed wall. The distance between the 3" p-trap for the basement drain and the 2" vent is 6'. I'd rather have had the vent come straight up, but I just cannot see a way to do it given the space constraints I have.

I'd be most grateful for feedback; whether an at-a-boy or a critisim.

IMG_1898.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't comment on the layout, but will say that you probably wasted a lot of time dryfitting things. The sockets of the fittings are tapered, so it is highly unlikely that you got the pipe inserted all of the way. So, each fitting means probably it will end up short by as much as 1/2" or so since the cement will melt and allow you to bottom the pipe in the socket. Common, rookie mistake. You need to just measure and cut...dryfitting will give you errors.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It will be up to the inspector whether you can use the sani-tee on it's back for the vent fitting. Here we are required to use a wye.

Assuming that the laundry will have a sanitary tee with it's own dry vent in the wall, you should be ok.

grahamW

Reaction score
Can't comment on the layout, but will say that you probably wasted a lot of time dryfitting things.

No harm done as it is mostly held together with bits of tape :p My concern was how tight that radius was compared to my original drawing and that I couldn't get the vent to run anything greater than 45 deg and avoid the footing.

It will be up to the inspector whether you can use the sani-tee on it's back for the vent fitting. Here we are required to use a wye.

Assuming that the laundry will have a sanitary tee with it's own dry vent in the wall, you should be ok.

Thanks. I was unsure of using a sani-tee horizontally for a vent, but the guy at the plumbing store suggested it was fine. Neverthless, I think I'll swap it for a 3x3x2 wye when I glue up. He also commented that nobody ever vents a 3" floor drain here. Not required = not done.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent in your picture would be a proper way to vent the floor drain.

The laundry still needs a vent connection above grade. Until we see how you make that connection, we won't know if you are doing it correctly or not.

grahamW

Reaction score
The vent in your picture would be a proper way to vent the floor drain.

The laundry still needs a vent connection above grade. Until we see how you make that connection, we won't know if you are doing it correctly or not.

Very true. My laundry sink/drain will be plumbed as shown in one of Terry's posts. The 2" vents will tie together and then head up to the attic where they'll connect to an existing 3" vent. My only change is that I'll be putting a 2" T-cleanout at the bottom of the 2" drain.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks