Rotor radius

Users who are viewing this thread

RSNovi

Reaction score
hi,

I have two quotes for an irrigation system for 60k sq ft lawn. The prices are quite similar and both use hunter products. The main difference is that one contractor says the rotors should be 25’ apart and the other designed theirs for 35’. Is there an ideal radius?

This system is going on a 18 GPM well. Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It depends on if the system is going to be set up in seperate zones vs. all at once and what pressure will be maintainable for the maximum gpm of output at the head.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
There are two kinds of rotors, some for residential and some for commercial applications. I used rotors at my church that was able to through water 85 feet and it did with a 7.5 HP three phase submersible pump. I prefer an overlap because it minimizes dry spots. All the planning is the world and the way the wind blows, trees in the way, etc. If the overlap to too great at some locations you can change the rotor spray heads to a lower output or increase it. The more water you dump at one time the less each zone needs to be active and the pump has to run. With your size pump 35 ft probably would give you coverage you need with a little overlap.

Which way to go I would normally go with the company that appears to know what they are doing, they are competent and you feel comfortable with. Either company can install 25 or 35 ft spreads. These should be written in the contract.
  1. Ask what rotor model they proposed to use?
  2. Ask what schedule pipe will be used?
  3. How many zones?
  4. Being in the state of MI where the ground freezes, ask how the system will be allowed to be drained for winterizing?
  5. What depth will the pipe will be buried?
  6. Controller brand?
  7. Zone valve brand?
  8. Lastly, what pattern will the pipe be laid out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks