Rotate sanitary wye?

Users who are viewing this thread

ejholmgren

Reaction score
I am going from a 72" single sink vanity with the bowl to the far side to a 48" one with the bowl in the middle. How can I rotate this wye to bring the drain into the vanity in the correct spot? Cut above and below the existing wye, try to glue in a new wye on the remaining stub, and put a no hub (?) below that can slide up and seal once everything is in place? Not sure what the right type of connections are for working in a fixed space like this with immovable constraints.

Attachments

• PXL_20230527_185954455~2.jpg
    PXL_20230527_185954455~2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 38

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's coming in to the stack just above the vanity?

The fitting you are calling a sanitary wye I've always heard called a sanitary tee, or san-tee. What is the distance between the hubs of the two san-tees? I.e. the length of the exposed pipe between the hubs.

If it's at least 1-1/4", then if you are OK with lowering the lower san-tee a little, so that the distance ends up 2-1/2" to 3" between the fittings, I would suggest this: cut the pipe between the san-tees, leaving 1-1/2" (or 1-1/4" if you don't have 1-1/2") of pipe stub sticking out of the bottom of the upper san-tee. Cut again below the lower san-tee, at least 2" above the bottom plate. Measure the distance between the two cuts and subtract 3/8". Make up an infill piece of that overall length, consisting of the replacement san-tee, a short stub at the top that sticks out at least 1-1/4", and the requisite length stub at the bottom. You can install the new infill piece using two shielded rubber couplings.

Cheers, Wayne

ejholmgren

Reaction score
The tee coming in above the vanity is the washing machine drain on the other side of the wall. There is exactly 1 1/4" between the tees. I think I could get away with the drop in height but I would need to measure; it will be close. The p-trap will be very close to the bottom of the vanity.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, then the lavatory needs to be above the washing machine drain. So now would be a good time to fix that. You can cut out both san-tees and get everything at the proper heights.

If this is a washing machine standpipe, your plumbing code regulates the height of the trap above the floor, as well as the height of the standpipe.

Also, hopefully the lavatory drain isn't being used to wet vent anything (WC, tub or shower) downstream? If it is, the washing machine drain should be separated and only join the lav et al downstream of the wet venting.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks