Roots under shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Garvin

Reaction score
I just tore out the old shower (fiberglass unit) over a concrete slab and found roots around the ABS riser pipe. I'm planning on putting down a sloped concrete bed, liner, and mortar pan and tile above that.

Question is: Should I dig out the roots and old pipes and replace them before moving on or if the drain is working just leave the roots?

I do all my own work but I'm not an experienced plumber. Looking for some advice on how the pros would approach this. I don't mind the time and work of tearing it out so it's not so much a cost issue. Just don't want this to come back and bite later. I only want to do this bathroom once. Here are some pics:

2017-03-15 10.51.48.jpg
2017-03-15 10.52.10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I saw something like that under a slab in a big shopping mall one time. I made me wonder if the concrete had been poured over a pasture.
I think I would cut back what you can and then forget it.
Anyone else have an idea?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks